[Vision2020] Tips for Trolls

joanopyr at earthlink.net joanopyr at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 9 23:42:09 PDT 2005

Donald TooGood complains (from behind his mother's apron of anonymity) that that I talk down to people, that I'm cruel and nasty, and that I have no business (NO BUSINESS!) calling him names.  He also claims that he's received an untold but deeply impressive number of private emails from Vision 2020 lurkers advising him that I kick kittens for fun, snub the poor, pour salt on slugs, and am just plain wicked, gawd-awful, and a great big meanie.

Who cares?

I've heard the "secret fanclub" argument before, Donaldo.  It is the last refuge of the pathetic scoundrel.  There are more than 700 people on this list.  If 10 of them have sent you private notes warning you that I'll rip off your head and yell down your neck, are they really telling you anything that you don't already know?  I've been on this list for years, and there's always been a Donald TooGood, or someone just like him, just as there's always been a "New Man."  Vision 2020 has always had at least one or more chickenshit provocateurs in residence.  We slap them down, we ignore them, and sooner or later, they go away.  Someone else will take Donald TooGood's place, but it doesn't really matter.  We survived Edna Wilmington; we survived Faul Ottomaticks and Stimatta X, and we will survive you, Mr. TooGood.  In comparison to Edna, Faul, and Stigmatta, you and New Man are really rather piddly-squat.  You're going to have to ramp it up a bit if you want to really be B-A-D.

Because it seems to upset you so much, I'll say this one final time: you are a troll.  You don't want to participate in a community discussion.  Unlike Pat Kraut -- with whom I almost never agree -- you're not willing to step up to the plate and identify yourself.  You're not willing to raise your head above the parapet and take a public risk.  Pat is willing to take that risk, and so she's a real part of this list; she contributes.  You don't.  You just make belligerant, anonymous observations and then sit back and watch the brown hit the fan.  You are fat and sassy and perfectly safe.  No one need fear you; but then, no one need heed you, either.  'Ere long, you'll get bored with us and go back to kicking cyber-booty on your X-Box.

Mortal Kombat, anyone?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com