[Vision2020] 07 05 05 Ny Times: United Church of Christ Backs Same-Sex Marriage

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 19:40:39 PDT 2005

Maybe you didn't understand my comment.  At one point
in this country not so long ago (around 1950), many
states outlawed interracial marriages...something like
38 states banned them.  Some had bans within their
state constitutions.  The reason why I bring this up
is that it is a direct parallel to banning same sex
marriage.

Roughly 60 years ago in this country, interracial
marriages were banned.  A black man marrying a white
woman was illegal.  A white man marrying a black woman
was illegal.  You claim this isn't the same thing as a
man marrying a man or a woman marrying a woman.  Why?
If at one point, there were laws against interracial
marriage and same sex marriage, what's the difference?
 They were both considered illegal marriages.

Married can mean between a man and a woman.  However,
same sex couples in a civil union deserve the exact
same rights as married couples.

-Scott