[Vision2020] RE:The Key to Helping Downtown Moscow Thrive

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Thu Jul 7 23:16:27 PDT 2005

I think a thorough economic impact analysis might be quite enlightening.
It is NOT impossible to prove whether or not NSA has had an economic
effect on the downtown. Your in-depth case study of you preferring to
drive 8 miles to pullman instead of walking an extra block to downtown is
quite interesting but proves nothing. And I am truly curous how you know
that all the cars hogging the downtown parking are NSA students? Do these
cars also wear uniforms?

And how can you demand evidence from Donovan("Arnold, what evidence have
you got that you can share to substantiate this claim?  What quantifiable
measure can you show us to reflect increased revenue in the central
business district as a direct result of NSA's presence?) and then state
that "I could easily substantiate that revenue has been lost as a result
simply by the lack of available parking during the week" and then give
your only substantiating evidence as 'I, tom hansen, have, in the past,
driven to pullman to purchase something instead of purchasing something
downtown since parking spots were occupied by NSA students' (to summarize)

I am curious (and have no idea) how long the buildings that NSA occupy
stood vacant? Where are the businesses lining up to get into downtown
spaces? Aren't there at least 2 vacant building there now? (where the
bridal shop was and that funky semi-antique store next to wild women
traders)  What about all the other vacant buildings around town?

Debbie

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 thansen at moscow.com wrote:

> It is nearly impossible to prove a negative, Ms. Gray.
>
> However, I have found myself driving the extra few miles (to Pullman) on
> occasion due to a general lack of parking in the downtown Moscow area,
> parking taken up by NSA students.
>
> The question then becomes:
>
> How many others have made the same decision (resulting in lost revenue)?
>
> Tom
>

> > OK I'll bite. Let's see quanitifiable evidence that revenue has
> > been lost. And who has lost the revenue? Or has revenue
> > increased? And who has benefited from an increase? And how is
> > that being measured specifically?
> >
> > On 7 Jul 2005 at 12:18, Tom Hansen wrote:
> > > I could easily substantiate that revenue has been lost as a
> > > result simply by the lack of available parking during the
> > week.

> >  List services made available by First Step Internet,
> >                http://www.fsr.net
> >           mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

>            http://www.fsr.com/

Debbie

  Debbie Gray      dgray at uidaho.edu
  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
  so as to have the life that is waiting for us." --Joseph Campbell