[Vision2020] RE:The Key to Helping Downtown Moscow Thrive

B. J. Swanson bjswan at moscow.com
Thu Jul 7 10:31:01 PDT 2005

Yes, Donovan, I am a member of the LEDC as well as the Idaho Economic
Advisory Council and many other economic development groups.  And your
economic credentials are?

No, I am not suggesting that we get rid of the U-I; but allowing a new tax-
exempt school zone that will depend on other taxpayers to subsidize
creates a number of problems.  Moscow already has an extremely high
property tax rate compared to other cities of similar size because our
largest economic base is tax exempt.  I would like to see the city
concentrate on creating Living wage jobs with benefits and broadening the
tax base instead of promoting tax exempt special interests.

Economic development is a favorite subject of mine, but, alas, I know how
just the word "Economics" makes eyes glaze over.  I would be glad to
debate this further off-line.

B. J. Swanson

-----------------------

BJ Swanson,

You wrote, "NSA claims to be tax-exempt, so who will
pay the taxes to support City services, etc?  Please
explain your tax revenue theory."

Are you not suppose to be on the Latah County Economic
Development Council?

Do you suggest that we get rid of UI because it does
not pay property taxes? Do you not see how a college
generates revenue through property taxes?

The same concept would work for a college downtown,
but on smaller scale.

Mr. Man, or whoever it is, might have meant something
different. However, I think it is obvious how a
college generates revenue for the city and state, and
local businesses by bringing people to the area.

Donovan J Arnold