[Vision2020] Dale Courtney's Inaccurate Web Responses Re: Church, State & Politics

tbertruss at aol.com tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Jul 6 16:02:53 PDT 2005

All:

Dale Courtney privately sent me this content, available at the link below, regarding Christ Church's impact on school levy voting from his web site where he quotes one of my V2020 posts.  He was responding privately to my recent V2020 post "Church, State & Politics."  I did not know this content was on his web site untill now.  I do not monitor his site except very occasionally and accidentally.

http://right-mind.us/archive/2005/04/28/3462.aspx

I responded privately to him about these issues.

Because his response on his web site inaccurately analyses my points from a V2020 post regarding these matters, both in his referencing of the V2020 post presented at the link above, and the implications of his argument as they impact my recent V2020 post "Church, State and Politics," I will send part of my response to Dale to the V2020 list below:

Dale, et. al.

Again, you don't dispassionately consider all the alternatives and accurately discuss my points.  And my name is misspelled.

I don't dispute your numbers for CC's possible impact on the levy election you mention.  However, 500 votes in a future levy election most certainly could swing the election.  There was a school levy election recently in Idaho that was decided by 3 votes.  It was in the news the past few weeks.  I could paste in a link to this story, but the links I found require registration.

I wrote in the post you quote on your web site that much of the opposition to the levy came from "motivated fundamentalist Christians."  This includes many more than just the members of Christ Church, so your focus on your church as the whole source of the voting block I discuss does not accurately reflect what I wrote.  You have noted that many other churches in Moscow share some of the same values as Christ Church, so omitting those churches from your analysis is a glaring error.

The manner in which you distort the intent of my words again reflects a flat out inaccurate analysis of the whole issue as I presented it, as you have done in the past on your web site.

So now are you going to tell me that 500 votes can't be the deciding factor in a future levy election?  Of course not.

My recent post "Church, State and Politics" mentioned the possibility of Christ Church's growth increasing their potential impact on a school levy.

Are you also going to tell me that Christ Church does not want to grow in size?  That you would not be happy to see Christ Church grow to include many more voters who would vote against the public schools?

I assure you that in future school levy discussions any focus I may have on the issue of religious opposition to the public schools will not only mention Christ Church, as my post you reference on your web site indicates I already did when I mentioned "motivated fundamentalist Christians," not just members of Christ Church.

I know you are a very smart man.  Why do you appear to not consider the obvious rebuttals to your arguments?

Ted Moffett