[Vision2020] The Future

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jul 6 05:49:02 PDT 2005

Arnold stated:

"I think the way to go is for Moscow to be more business friendly and lower
the property taxes for incoming business for a year or two so we can lower
taxes for everyone with a bigger tax base."

Huh?  Let's break this down.

1.  " . . . lower the property taxes for incoming businesses . . . "

Much like the state of Idaho has done that resulted in a state deficit,
forcing the state to reduce various programs and increase sales tax.
Remember.  Idaho is one of the few states that taxes groceries (a staple).
In effect, the state of Idaho had managed to arrange for poor families to
pay for business tax cuts.  I vote "No".

2.  " . . . so we can lower taxes for everyone with a bigger tax base . . .
"

Once you have lowered the property taxes for incoming businesses, the tax
"base" does not increase, it decreases.  It is the tax "burden" of the
remaining property tax payers that increases.

If your intention is to reduce the property tax liability of the remaining
tax payers after a year or so, just how do you intend on making this a
reality?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Take care, Moscow.

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy