[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (July 1, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jul 1 05:37:15 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (July 1, 2005) UI Friday Letter from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends July 1, 2005

Dear Friends,

Earlier this week, I had a wonderful opportunity to meet with community and
business leaders in Coeur d'Alene and Post Falls to discuss higher
educational needs in northern Idaho. The region provides a special and
compelling case of need, with more than 60 percent growth over the past
15 years and projected growth of five to seven percent per year in the
future. We will pursue a leadership role in meeting this rapidly growing
need for additional educational services. Our goal is to provide affordable
access to high quality university programs for traditional and
non-traditional students alike - working cooperatively and in partnership
with others.

Our University community is dealing with another tragic incident, and I want
to express our great sadness and concern to the family and colleagues of
Steven Campbell, associate professor of accounting. Steven's body was
recovered several days following a rafting accident last Friday on the
Salmon River. The raft carrying Steven and his 7-year-old daughter, Sabella,
overturned in the Time Zone Rapid, north of Riggins. Sabella was pulled to
shore by her dog. We all share in the profound sadness of this situation and
express our condolences to his family, friends and close colleagues. Steven
has been at UI since August 2001, and taught intermediate and advanced
accounting, and graduate financial accounting.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

~ UI Extension will sponsor a bus tour July 14-16 as part of the educational
course, "Idaho's Journey for Diversity and Human Rights." The course, which
is open to community members, will present the history of northern Idaho.
Participants will explore Coeur d'Alene tribal members' experiences past and
present and early efforts by pioneering suffragist May Hutton of Wallace to
win the right to vote for women. Future tours are planned in southern Idaho
that will explore the experiences of early Chinese laborers who helped build
the state and Japanese internees during World War II.

~ UI alumnus Peter D. Leman has been named a Jacob K. Javits Fellow and will
receive up to $41,000 a year for four years to conduct graduate studies.
Leman is a 2003 UI graduate in English and philosophy. This fall, he will
begin a Ph.D. program in English and American literature at the University
of California, Irvine.

~ The 2005 season of Idaho Repertory Theatre is underway on the University
of Idaho campus. This year's plays include "All I Really Need to Know I
Learned in Kindergarten," "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
(abridged)," Steve Martin's "The Underpants" and for families, "Hush: An
Interview with America" by James Still. Idaho Repertory Theatre Youth has
two productions this year at the Prichard Art Gallery in Moscow; "POW!" by
Ginger Rankin, and "A Thousand Cranes" by Kathryn Schultz Miller.
Curtain-Raisers is a new series of very, very, very short plays performed on
the Hartung Stage prior to each evening's performance. Also new is Dark
Night at The Rep July 18 and 25. It is for audiences interested in staged
readings of original new plays. Tickets are available from the UI Ticket
Office weekdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (208-885-7212 or 1-88-88-UIDAHO), and from
TicketsWest outlets in Lewiston, Pullman, Spokane, Coeur d'Alene and
Tri-Cities.
Reservations are recommended. For more information, see www.uitheatre.com.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy