[Vision2020] Follow-up on ride-along program

Jennifer McFarland jmcfarland at latah.id.us
Mon Jan 31 17:06:25 PST 2005

Visionaries,
I am very pleased that so many people have expressed an interest in riding
with our deputies.  I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a few
points that have come up since my previous post on this matter:
1. Ride-alongs are granted on a case-by-case basis.  If you want to ride,
come in when you want to ride, and, if a deputy is available we'll run a
brief criminal history check and approve/deny the request.
2. Due to liability issues, we cannot approve riders under the age of 13.
Riders between 13 and 17 years of age must be accompanied by a custodial
adult when they come in for ride-along approval.  Generally, because of
increased hazards in the evening hours, young riders should come in during
daytime hours (07:00 to 17:00).  Again, no minors can be taken for a
ride-along without a custodial parent signing the waiver in the presence of
a notary (all of our dispatchers are notaries).
3. All riders are expected to follow the guidelines set for them by the
deputy with whom they are riding.  There are some incidents that, for a
number of different reasons, we cannot take a rider to.  These incidents
include but are not limited to high-speed chases, homicides, suicides, and
incidents involving abuse of children.  Please, if you are riding with a
deputy who has to respond to one of these crimes, do not be surprised or
disappointed to be let off at a safe place before the deputy proceeds to the
call.
4. Lastly, because we respond to sensitive calls, we expect that riders will
respect the privacy of the people involved in those calls.  Please do not
share information about people associated with calls that you become privy
to on your ride-along.

Thank you all for your interest in your Sheriff's Office.  We look forward
to hearing from you and seeing you all.  If you have any questions, do not
hesitate to contact me.  And, as always, if I might be of any assistance on
any other LCSO matter, please contact me at your convenience.  We look
forward to your participation and feedback about our services.

--Jennifer

Jennifer L. McFarland
Detective/Public Information Officer
Latah County Sheriff's Office
PO Box 8068
Moscow, Idaho 83843
(208) 882-2216

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
***Ralph Waldo Emerson