[Vision2020] Outdoor lights

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Mon Jan 31 14:36:31 PST 2005

Great post Fiat:

I too use the motion detector system - a perfect solution for my wife and I
- it is not clear that that would pass mustard with the ordinance - it
requires photo sensitive.

Looks like a perfect opportunity to "enlighten" lots of folks on the
issue.  When informed about light and all its elements, folks can make
rational choices about what light they need.  I am confident most would opt
for the "best" solution for their needs.  Thanks for getting that thread
started.

And it is certainly a process of education.  One poster noted that the use
of the Energy Saving Soft White Light Bulb is so much better than the
incandescent bulb.  But of course, the Energy Saving bulb is an
incandescent bulb - it simply uses a different filament material.

On the Sylvania line of bulbs, here is their recommendation for choosing a
light bulb:

"To save energy costs, find the bulbs with the light output you need, then
choose the one with the lowest watts"

Another point noted on a box of GE Miser Floodlights (their energy saving
line of products) is:

"The Miser Floodlight has a shape designed to gather stray light that
standard floodlights waste and redirect that light back into the useable
beam"

Of interest again, this is an incandescent light.

Finally, GE includes this tip on the energy saving issue:

"For greater energy savings use GE Halogen Floodlights"

Of course, horse owners and other barn keepers know that halogen lights are
a no-no for barn use because of the heat they generate.

Finally, glad we got some discussion going - and your post helps.