[Vision2020] Next Posting on Proposed Latah County Land Ordinance

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 23:20:01 PST 2005

Jeff,

I want to thank you for illustrating to the public and surrounding counties
your incompetence in such matters as reviewing laws concerning land use.

First let me start by saying, "SECTION 9.03 DESIGN STANDARDS FOR ALL OUTDOOR
LIGHTING In order to conserve energy and reduce light pollution" Is a very
GOOD idea for several reasons.

It reduces usage of energy. You want to know why your utility bill is so
damn high? It is because people are doing things like using incandescent
light bulbs. I know T. Edison was a smart man, but we have made some
improvements to the light bulb since the 1901 Pan-American World Fair
Exhibit in Buffalo.

A smart government would outlaw incandescent light bulbs completely. 90% of
the energy produced from a incandescent light bulb is wasted on heat. Less
than 10% of electricity you are using is being used for light. An energy
saving light bulb, which costs about $2.50 at your local friendly thrift
store and lasts 5 years, versus 6 months or less with a incandescent, can
produce the same amount of light as the $1 light bulb at about one tenth the
wattage and cost. So this idea is saving money for land users and helping
the environment. I replaced all the lights in my place and my utility bill
has gone down on average $20 a month and I never have to change the bulb
except once every 5 years. Sure, the extra $1.50 per bulb is expensive at
first, but I made up the difference in about a month on the utility bill.

You write,

"In Idaho, to save energy  residents are required to purchase 60 watt
luminaire fixtures (as many as it takes) to get the light they need for a
task."

Yes, it does take a great deal of bulbs when you use incandescent. Not to
mention they break easily, are really hot and can burn you, waste energy,
have a high malfunction rate, easily start fires, and are not very bright.
It would take 11  incandescent bulbs to do what just one 60 watt energy
saving bulb can do. In fact, if you had one soft light energy saving bulb at
60 watts it would be so bright (650 watts of an incandescent) you would
probably go blind if you looked right at it, or at least cause some
permenent eye damage.

You continue with speculation about others will say,

"In Idaho, apparently folks there aren't smart enough to know to turn off
their lights in the daytime because County Officials have required everyone
to install photo sensor lights to turn them off during daylight."

I doubt this. Part of the reason that our utility bills are so high is
because people leave their lights on, increasing demand for lighting. Much
of this lighting is wasted on nothing other than letting the cows see the
grass or the rocks see the trees. People should not be forced to pay higher
utility bills because someone forgot to turn their lights off. Further, not
all people are stupid for leaving their light on during the day. Some cannot
turn them off because they are gone for the weekend, and don't want anyone
thinking they are not home. Others forget to turn them off at night when
they go to bed. Still others turn the light on in the afternoon so they can
see when they get home in the dark. You add all this up, and it increases
energy usage significantly.

As for light population. This is mostly because many animals get confused by
the lights. They use the sun and/or stars for navigation. The light confuses
them and their mating, eating, and sleeping patterns. It may seem silly, but
it is impacting the environment negatively, and we know that farmers very
much need to have a strong environment because they rely on the land. It is
needless to have lights shining brightly upward. I suggest to the farmer or
land owner trying to install a snow blower, or fix a tractor tire, to do it
in the morning, not at midnight. But I am willing to bet that most Farmers
are smarter than Mr. Harkins and could figure that one out.

Mr. Harkins, if anymore light bulbs go off in your head, please make sure
they are efficient ones that save the farmer and land owner money. Because
so far, they have all been pretty dim or malfunctioning only leaving people
burned.

Take care,

Donovan J Arnold