[Vision2020] limitations of local government

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sat Jan 29 11:20:51 PST 2005

Jeff,

Unless budget/financial sheet software has
changed significantly since my tenure at the
courthouse, it would not be available in a
digital format that could be accessed by other
users. At that time (pre-PC, mainframe only) it
was proprietary software, not off the shelf.
Given the inertia of local government, it is more
likely to have been tweaked rather than replaced
over the years but I could certainly be wrong.
Wouldn't be the first time.

Not sure if you're referring to the annual audit
when discussing the CAFR, but if so, back then it
was prepared and delivered by the outside auditor
in hard copy which would require copying and
subsequent fee. I don't see any reason these days
that report couldn't be formatted to pdf as a
part of the audit contract.

I've gone down with this ship before, but I'll
say it again: to address the valid issues that
you raise requires both clear direction from
county commissioners who can devote enough time
to the work of the office to achieve the
consensus necessary (full-time in my opinion),
trained staff and the monetary resource to devote
the time needed. Space at the courthouse to
breathe would help, too. Kootenai County, with
its explosive growth rate, much greater
population and subsequent increase in property
tax base is not the county I would choose for
comparison. How is Nez Perce County handling
these information issues?

Mark Solomon