[Vision2020] The UI Friday Leter from UI President White

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 28 05:25:27 PST 2005

The following is the UI Friday Letter for January 28, 2005 from UI President
White

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends January 28, 2005

Dear Friends,

I had the privilege of presenting our FY06 budget proposal to members of the
Idaho Legislature's Joint Finance-Appropriations Committee yesterday
morning. It was an opportunity to update lawmakers on the status of the
University of Idaho, not only in terms of the budget but also in terms of
faculty, student and staff successes. It also provided a venue to formally
support Gov. Kempthorne's proposed budget for higher education, one that
demonstrates courage and vision for the future. I was able to outline our
institutional request for the coming fiscal year and expressed it as an
investment with a strong return.
Specifically, we are asking the legislature to invest in funding for
enrollment growth, employee compensation, occupancy costs for the Idaho
Water Center and deferred facilities maintenance. I appreciate their
willingness to listen to our perspective; they face substantial challenges
in developing this year's budget with an eye on next year's as well. The
University of Idaho will continue to work to strengthen our partnership with
the state and our students by providing high quality education that is
affordable and accessible.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

~ A public art project proposal by UI student Cindy Darnell has lured in
Buhl residents. Darnell, a Master of Fine Arts student in art and design
from Salem, Ill., captured first prize in the proposal competition
celebrating the town's 2006 centennial. She will receive $1,500. The winning
design is a 30-foot-high steel sculpture of a trout jumping from a stream.
When the sculpture is completed, it will be located in downtown Buhl. The
Buhl Centennial Committee initiated a competition for sculpture proposals
this past fall. The goal was to select and implement a public art project
celebrating the history of the town and its main industry, trout farming.

~ Over two million acres of Idaho farm and ranch lands get their irrigation
water from snowmelt and reservoir storage. In the past, these surface-water
irrigators have relied on basin-wide estimates to project their upcoming
season's water supplies. Now, UI agricultural engineer Brad King, senior
scientific aide Ralph Oborn and economist Chris McIntosh have developed a
statistical approach that projects the probability and severity of water
shortages down to the irrigation-district level in major potato-producing
areas. Projections for 2005, which incorporate each district's water-rights
priority dates along with each basin's hydrology, are now available at
http://extension.ag.uidaho.edu/droughtpredict. January data will be updated
for February, March and April.

~ Former Vandal football player Bill Fagerbakke '81 is master of ceremonies
at tonight's banquet honoring UI athletes who participated in fall sports.
Fagerbakke, who graduated with a degree in theater arts, now spends his
working hours as the voice of Patrick Starfish on the animated children's
program "SpongeBob SquarePants." He also is known for his role as Dauber in
the television series "Coach."
Fagerbakke played at UI in 1975 and 1976.

~ Adriana Quirke became the first Vandal to earn a Big West Swimmer of the
Week award last week. In a home dual at the UI Swim Center Jan. 15, Quirke
won three events and led the Vandals to their first meet win since 1985.
Quirke, a sophomore captain from Eugene, Ore., won the 200 freestyle, the
500 freestyle and swam a leg for Idaho's victorious 200 freestyle relay
team. Vandal swimming was inactive from 1985 until this season.