[Vision2020] Wayne's thoughts, Jim Fisher, andletter to the LMT

Ron Force rforce at moscow.com
Thu Jan 27 16:43:41 PST 2005

Not a "new" word.  From the Oxford English Dictionary:

 {dag}1. Of the nature of the dregs or worthless part of any substance. Of
food: Consisting largely of matter useless for nutrition; = EXCREMENTAL1 1.

  1623 HART Arraignm Ur. ii. 8 The..excrementitious part of the food is
voided forth. 1661 LOVELL Hist. Anim. & Min. Introd., The flesh of wild
beasts is lesse excrementitious and dryer, than that of the tame.

    2. Of the nature of excrement or excreted matter.

  1586 BRIGHT Melanch. xix. 118 The aged..faile in the execution of
externall actions..by excrementitious humiditie. 1623 ROWLANDSON God's
Bless. 35 As if mildew were..an excrementitious humor. 1670 BOYLE in Phil.
Trans. V. 2013 We kept the same Duckling in the same Receiver very close..to
keep in the excrementitious steams of her body. 1744 BERKELEY Siris §30
Exhaling vessels, for carrying off excrementitious parts, are discovered
throughout the whole surface of the vegetable. 1761 Brit. Mag. II. 435 The
scent of excrementitious animal juices, such as musk, civet, etc. 1826 KIRBY
& SP. Entomol. (1828) III. xxxii. 297 Almost all insects discharge some
drops of an excrementitious fluid. 1875 URE Dict. Arts II. 740 s.v. Guano,
This extraordinary excrementitious deposit of certain sea-fowls.

Consisting of, or of the nature of, an outgrowth.

  c1645 HOWELL Lett. I. xxx. 60 Hair is but an excrementitious thing. 1677
HALE Prim. Orig. Man. III. iv. 266 These [feathers] are excrementitious, and
not really parts of the Bird.

Ron Force         Moscow ID USA
rforce at moscow.com