[Vision2020] Beauty speaks for itself

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:11:11 PST 2005

Downtown Moscow is my favorite part of my birthplace and home town. I must
also agree that NSA does add visual appeal regardless of the fact that I
don't like what is inside it.

But I also think the rest of DT Moscow is great too. I like all the old
buildings. I don't want them all to be renovated. I want some to be
renovated, and others just to be restored to the way they were long ago. I
like the fire station, and the Brown's Furniture building the most. I also
like the old Nobby Inn building. We are so lucky to have these buildings.
And Downtown really is the real character of Moscow, not the UI which
changes all the time. Downtown is the place for the people that represent
the permanence of Moscow, the part that caters to the people that are in
Moscow decade after decade, not just two to five years.

I don't know how to go about renovating the DT area because it is privately
owned and I don't think we should give tax dollars to private businesses. I
guess one thing we could do is maybe maintain the roads, sidewalks,
Friendship square, and maybe have the city buy the original buildings and
rent them whenever we can.

What do you folks think we should do to help keep and motivate the owners of
DT to have pride in their buildings which are so much a part of the heart
and history of this great little city we are so fortunate to live in?

Thanks,

Donovan J Arnold