[Vision2020] They're coming to take your land--Follow our leaderJeffHarkins!

Fiat Lux fiat_lx at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 21:00:33 PST 2005

Mr. Arnold,
I cannot help but detect a condescending air in the
way you  responded to, or should I say dismissed,
Janice's concerns.
I get the sense that you feel unduly burdened with the
task of  enlightening those among us whom you deem
ignorant.  Surely, with your remarkable level of
experience in seemingly all things, you must be
contributing a great deal to the community.  Too bad
you weren't holding the hands of the commissioners
when they drew up the Land Use Ordinance revisions in
a way that set everyone up for confusion, frustration
and community division.  So much of the bad feelings
we are now dealing with might likely have been averted
by simply presenting the proposed code revisions by
using the familiar strike through and underline
revision format.  Even the simple country folk could
figure out what that means.  By not including the
additions and deletions to the existing code in the
"Rough Draft" seems almost an intentional effort to
alienate those among our neighbors who do not have the
benefit of a B.S. in political science such as
yourself.

Like it or not, all property owners potentially
effected by the ordinance changes deserve a chance to
give input into the process that will place
restrictions on what they can do with their land.
"Government by the people, for the people" I think I
heard somewhere once.  Regrettably, many just folks
land owners in Latah County feel
unrepresented,disrespected and even discounted because
they have not had their concerns considerately
addressed.  Perhaps you should offer your infinitely
capable self up in public service, to advocate for the
people who feel they have been done a wrong turn by
the commissioners entrusted to serve our best
interests?

That might be a more constructive approach than
assuring people that their concerns are "stupid".
Somewhere else in the postings this month, it was
explained that having a land use code compendium in
one handy, complete package would benefit landowners
by virtue of the convenience factor.  Where has that
concern for landowner assistance and enlightenment
gone?

Out of curiosity, just how many cattle could I keep if
I owned one square mile?  Would all those cattle have
to have free access to all of that acreage at all
times?   Or could I keep my quota of cattle in
separately fenced pasture areas throughout my
property, grazed on a rotational schedule?  I must
say, it is my pleasure to be a good steward of the
land and install adequate fencing to protect the
waterways from the damage grazing livestock can do.  I
am strangely able to comprehend the idea that we all
live downstream.

Yours truly,
Fiat Lux