[Vision2020] Land use

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Jan 25 12:36:15 PST 2005

All,

Without commenting on the merit of proposed changes to the Latah County Comprehensive Plan of which at present I am ill-informed, let me address one issue.

Various people who style themselves libertarians or freedom fighters often complain about assaults on their (and our) property rights.

Two observations:

1.    When I was the Boundary County Planning and Zoning Coordinator, 8 of the 10 most vocal opponents of P & Z (who called any supporter of such a communist) appeared in my office or telephoned me at home at least once, and in several cases, many times to complain about activities of their neighbors.  Many of these complaints did not even rise to the level of a zoning violation, but none-the-less, these super-patriots angrily insisted that I take some kind of action.

2.    Most importantly, we all have property rights!  The most important of these rights is the right to the peaceable, comfortable, hazard-free enjoyment of our property and homes.  This means the right of freedom from unreasonable, annoying, unhealthy, unsafe adverse impacts caused by inconsiderate, arrogant, ignorant, greedy and/or deliberately annoying neighbors and others.

In short, we all have property rights; comprehensive plans and zoning ordinances are democratic mechanisms that attempt to balance the property rights, safety, health, and welfare of all.

I do not believe in leaving my safety, health, and welfare to the goodwill of my neighbors and others.  While almost all of my neighbors have been reasonable, considerate people in almost all the many places I have lived, some have not -- thank goodness for the zoning laws that protected my neighbors and myself against these assholes!

The other suggestion that opponents of P & Z often make:  If your neighbor is causing you grief, then sue him.  This is a most dishonest smokescreen:

1.    Without a P & Z ordinance as a statutory basis, most of such lawsuits are not winnable.
2.    The cost of such lawsuits would be prohibitive to most families.  Just ask those whose legitimate requests for county P & Z enforcement have been ignored what the cost of trying to legally solve the issue was and what success they had.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com