[Vision2020] Re: Zoning Code and NSA (archives ) READ § 4-11-9 (80) and §...

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 04:04:36 PST 2005

Saundra and Ted,

Thank you both for your comments. Saundra, you, as usual, brought up some
good brain candy. And Ted, thanks for writing one of the points I was going
to bring up. You did a better job wording and explaining it than I would
have done.

Ted wrote,

"It seems possible that a school could qualify for a property tax exemption
as a nonprofit religious institution, yet due to other factors regarding
course offerings and schooling in certain trades, be considered a
"commercial" school, unless the definition of a "commercial" school in the
law hinges essentially on the profit or nonprofit question."

Ted is correct. The MCC does not use the terms profit or nonprofit in the
definition of commercial use. Commercial use is defined in
(http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/citycode/TITLE04/chapter11.pdf) MCC Title 4 §
11-9-21
as "An activity maintaining a display of goods, merchandise or services, for
sale or involving a rental fee."

NSA does in fact sell services in education and books so it does count as
commercial according to the legal definition as defined by MCC.

My second point that I was going to bring up is that if people do interpret
the law as stating that NSA cannot be in the downtown area then it cannot be
legally located anywhere within Moscow City Limits except on the University
because no where does the law specifically define a category in which NSA
falls neatly and cleanly into.

I doubt it was the intention of the Moscow City Council to prevent any
non-profit college from existing in Moscow. If it was, I question the
validity of the city code to have such sweeping authority.

Because NSA doesn't fit nicely into any category, I would revert to Tile 4,
Sec. 3-5. Paragraph A 7 for clarification which allows for;
(http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/citycode/TITLE04/chapter3.pdf)

"7. Commercial schools, churches,
synagogues, mosques, governmental
offices, libraries, museums, art
galleries, police and fire stations, and
similar public or private institutions."

I would say that NSA is similar to a "commercial school", at least in that
it offers education in the arts and sells a service.

My final point is that if we insist that commercial means "for profit" then
we must also eliminate from Moscow Goodwill, the Chamber of Commerce, the
Disability Action Center, and the Center for Disabilities and Human
Development, because none of them otherwise meet the criteria for any Moscow
zoning district.

I really hope that nobody despises NSA so much that are willing to
exterminate these services just to get at them.

Thank you and take care,

Donovan J Arnold