[Vision2020] They're coming to take your land--Follow our leaderJeff Harkins!

Janice Willard jwillard at turbonet.com
Mon Jan 24 13:14:05 PST 2005

Mr. Arnold and other visionaries,

I don't think that this is really true, as you suggest, that Mr. Harkins is
being unnecessarily alarmist.

There was tremendous turnout at the last planning and zoning meeting
precisely because there were problems with the document. Citizens did
exactly what citizens should do in a democratic country, they became part of
the process and expressed their concerns.  As one of the members of the
committee put it (and I don't have an exact quote here) this ordinance is
for the citizens of this county and they should have a part in drafting it,
not some set of rules imposed by bureaucrats.  Citizens of this county drove
from all the distant points of the county to express their concerns with
this document as it now stands.

Unfortunately, because the committee has been relying on an archaic
communication system to alert people about the meetings, they did not get
the public comment from citizens that they needed to draft this into an
unambiguous and workable document in the past few years as they were working
on it.  They held meetings up in Potlatch, out in Kendrick, but people
didn't know about the meetings and didn't come and so did not provide them
with the critical feedback they needed to craft this into a workable
document.  The committee has done a conscientious job and have done the best
they could, but they were lacking the input they needed from the citizens to
do this right.

Last week it was apparent that citizens of this county had a lot of problems
with many provisions of this document and that there was considerable
confusion due to ambiguous language.

I think that it is highly foolish to go ahead with this document as it
stands today.  Everyone needs to go back a step.  The committee needs to go
back to the communities, this time with considerably more advanced
advertising so that the people who have the knowledge and the experience get
the information that the meetings are going to be held and can provide the
committee with the much needed feedback to mold this into a workable
document.

To go ahead with the document at this time would be disastrous.  All those
people who have problems with this document (and only a portion of them
drove in from all around the county, I am sure that there are more who feel
as they do since there was a lot of similarity in their concerns) would feel
disenfranchised and angry.  And the ambiguities that they pointed out would
cause problems for years to come.

I don't know who is in charge of deciding these things but this document is
"Not Ready*!  To proceed with it at this time is not a good plan.  I don't
know how this works legislatively, but someone in county government with
both brains and foresight (i.e. leadership) needs to sent this document back
to committee and back to the people for more work.

You raised the issue of Mr. Harkin's political leanings in this and
suggested this was a reason for his position.  But I can tell you that I
have dead opposite political leanings than Mr. Harkins.  This is not about
politics, this is about having a county ordinance that works for the people
of the county.   This one doesn't.  It needs more work to get there.
Passing it in its present form, or even with a few minor adjustments, will
not solve the problems.  More time and better communication will.  We need
to go back to the people.  That is what democratic government is all about.
I do hope that there are wise heads *somewhere* in authority who see the
wisdom of pausing, going back, bringing in the public with all their
experience and knowledge, and getting this right.

JW