[Vision2020] Latah County Land Use Ordinance

Thomas Saylor tsaylor at tds.net
Sun Jan 23 09:32:14 PST 2005

At 09:39 PM 1/22/2005, Jeff Harkins wrote:
>URGENT POSTING
>
>After digesting the 82 pages of the proposed Latah County Land Use
>Ordinance, I call your attention to this document and urge you to read the
>proposed revisions carefully.  In all my 22 years in Latah County, I have
>not seen a more intrusive collection of policies proposed for property
>owners.  Virtually every provision attacks or limits your rights as a
>property owner in Latah County.  The link is:
>
>http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/PB_ZoningOrdinanceDraft.pdf

I read this document after the recent public hearing at the courthouse. By
accounts, the place was packed, with more people crowding the adjacent
hallways. Those in attendance recited a common themes: why is this
necessary, how did something of this magnitude come up on the radar so
quickly, and what can we do to preserve our property rights. The level of
attendance alone suggests deep concern about this ill-advised "reform"
across a spectrum of landowners and residents.

I agree with Mr. Harkins when he says we should all be concerned about this
sweeping ordinance. In some ways it simplifies issues, but in many ways it
places unnecessary restrictions on landowners who, for a very long time,
and for the most part, have been good stewards of their land and good
neighbors without the need for this intrusion.

Yes, the alarmists will say that toxic waste dumps, pig farms, killer radio
towers, illegal junkyards, rural apartment complexes, overcrowded animal
feedlots, inappropriate home businesses, unapproved cemetaries, and rogue
bed and breakfasts will sprout all over the county unless we enact this
ordinance immediately. These are the same people who generally don't live
in the rural county, and who don't understand the uses being addressed in
the ordinance.

I suggest there are laws and mechanisms already on the books that address
these issues, without the need for a clampdown of this magnitude. I'm
curious: can anyone name specific examples of the dreaded uses listed
above? If so, what existing laws and processes could be brought to bear today?

Regarding towers and hazards to air navigation, as a pilot and
telecommunications consultant, I know the FAA and the FCC are directly
involved in the approval and lighting of any tower exceeding certain height
limits and/or within critical air navigation areas. From the FCC website:
"The FCC always requires an FAA determination that an antenna tower will
not pose an aviation hazard before it will grant permission to build that
antenna tower." Should the county now feel obligated to weigh in on this?

Most wind generation and personal radio towers (ham radio, TV reception,
etc.) are less than 100 feet tall. And, the ordinance restricts wind
generation towers to 60 feet. Those familiar with wind generation may agree
this could effectively squelch wind generation (a component
of  "alternative and renewable energy") in this county. Depending on site
and wind conditions, windmills may need to be much higher off the ground to
escape turbulent air at lower heights. Turbulence reduces generation
efficiency and shortens the life span of wind generators. Does the county
want to stymie personal communications and development of alternative energy?

People who run cattle, keep horses, or other domestic livestock should be
concerned as well. The ordinance mentions a one animal per acre limit. Does
this apply to chickens as well? Most people I know who manage domestic
livestock on their property do so in a responsible and ethical manner. Laws
exist regarding animal cruelty and protection of riparian areas. Should the
county add another layer of bureaucracy?

Folks, let's remember these are your tax dollars being expended for
questionable returns. If I felt threatened by any of the issues being
addressed in this ordinance, I would have been before the commissioners or
sued under existing laws long ago. I hope others of reasonable mind agree:
If there are specific problems, let's fix them. Otherwise, put the broad
brush away and work the individual issues as necessary.

Now I'll brace myself for the onslaught of criticism. I realize I will be
called selfish to dare fight restriction of my landowner freedoms under the
guise of promoting the "health, safety, and general welfare of the people
of Latah County." I promise to focus on my other public service and
humanitarian efforts to make up for my insensitivity.

Tom Saylor
Troy, Idaho
A responsible "rural residential zone" landowner