[Vision2020] Failure in British Privatizing Plan

lrr webmistress at elly-ah.net
Sun Jan 23 06:29:19 PST 2005

If I've heard one rant more than any other during my time in the UK, it's been
that having to do with privitazation (well that, and how much everyone hates
Bush and how Thather ruined everything, but I digress).  Of course the
complaining will generally be with regards to how crap the trains are now that
they are privately owned.  Regarding the pensioner population, they are an
enduring sort, but I can't help but feel appalled on their behalf when in line
behind them at the post office when they receive their paltry social security
allowance.  I think what makes this bearable, aside from that strong and frugal
character of the elderly briton, is the set of social programs that surround a
person; most likely they are benefitting from a plethora of helps and let's not
forget the NHS. This is not to say that they live in luxury at the tax-payers'
expense--the little pressies my husband receives from his gran at holidays
bring tears to his eyes because he knows quite how costly they were to her.
There is no question that the social security system itself is flawed here.

What makes me concerned for my fellow Americans is that we do not possess, nor
even seem to want to encourage, a welfare mentality.  Even as an immigrant in
the UK, I don't have the same fears of the possible consequences of my personal
finances collapsing as I did in the States.  The US is not renowned for valuing
its elderly population.  Should public and guaranteed social security be
withdrawn, I am truly fearful for them; a group that, if anything, should be
honored for their contributions, not marginalized as a social burden.  There
will be little support for them if they are unable to take care of themselves.

I remember a quote that was something along the lines of, 'the morals of a
society are reflected in how well it cares for its most vulnerable.'
Americans should be mindful in their policy-making of what their decisions say
about the kind of people they are.