[Vision2020] Bend over, Barrett

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 17:50:19 PST 2005

Dear Visionaries:

Barrett Schroeder, chairman of the Latah County Republicans, is quoted in
today's Daily News as saying that "he never would have guessed that anyone
standing in Friendship Square on Thursday loved the United States."

He goes on: "I thought the coffin was probably uncalled for . . . There also
was a poster with negative things about Laura Bush that I thought was
uncalled for.  The election was two months ago, and it’s time to get behind
the president and move on.  We didn't protest either time (former President
Bill Clinton) was elected.  I'm not sure what the protesters' point was."

Not sure what our point was Barrett?  Let me help you out -- God knows if
I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times since early November: 50.8%
of the popular vote is not a popular electoral mandate.  Nearly half the
country voted against Mr. Bush last November, but more than that, 49% of us
voted for things like universal healthcare, a living wage, respect for
diplomacy and the Geneva Conventions, help for the poor, civil rights, civil
liberties, and the Constitutional guarantees of equality for all citizens
that the Bush Administration has persistently put at risk.  That's why we
were standing out there in the cold on Thursday -- to let Mr. Bush and
Republicans like you know that we count, that we matter, and that we love
our country.  We are not going to surrender our democracy to you on the
basis of .8% margin of victory.  To paraphrase the president of the NRA,
you'll pry our democracy out of our cold dead hands.

Shame on you for suggesting that we don't love the United States.  Shame on
you for pretending that the GOP has a lock on values, on patriotism, and on
understanding exactly what it is that makes this country great.  We believe
in democracy -- American democracy.  We believe in one person, one vote.  We
believe in an America in which every vote counts and every vote counts
equally.  We believe in the traditional values expressed by the Constitution
and the Bill of Rights and in the checks and balances provided by an
independent judiciary.  We believe in these things, and so we put them in a
coffin because we wanted to draw attention to the fact that these things are
at risk.  Your President's nominee for Attorney General, Alberto Gonzales,
has referred to the Geneva Conventions as "quaint."  Your President's under
the impression that Constitution should be amended for the first time in our
history to restrict the civil rights of certain selected citizens.  Your
President believes that we can and should hold prisoners indefinitely at
Camp X-Ray without trial, without charge, and without access to an attorney.
  The price of liberty, Mr. Schroeder, is eternal vigilance.  That's what we
were doing when we stood in Friendship Square on Thursday; we weren't just
exercising our right to free speech.

Moscow is a small town.  I've met you Barrett.  I've had pleasant
conversations with you both in person and online.  You seem like a nice
fellow, but I want you to consider yourself spanked and spanked hard.  With
a hairbrush.  I don't question your love of country; how dare you question
mine?  Here's your whipping.  I hope it burns.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: If you don't recall the GOP protesting either of Bill Clinton's
elections then I suggest that you head down to the Goodwill and spend three
or four dollars on a cheap blue dress.  Take it home, splooge a little
mayonnaise or some hair conditioner on it, let it dry, and then stare at it
really, really hard.  Eventually, if you really concentrate, a vision of Ken
Starr will dance before your eyes.  If partisan impeachment doesn't
constitute a form of electoral protest, then I don't know what does.