[Vision2020] Legislative Update I from Rep. Trail - Jan 10-15, 2005

RepTrail strail2 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 18:51:30 PST 2005

Dear Visionaries:

We are just getting organized for this years legislative session.  Here
are some of the highlights from Week I.

1.  Salary Increase for State Employees  --  The Governor proposed a one
percent increase for state employees.  This means that most state
employees will be receiving less money than they did 4 years ago.

     This considers that the cost of living goes up 2-3% each year and
that health insurance costs have increased.  A reasonable increase would
be 2-3% just to keep even with the cost of living.

     The 1% increase for U. of I. employees will be fully funded unlike
the partial funding for salary increases last year.  The U. of I. with
its financial problems did not have enough monetary reserves and only
awarded the increases in January 05.  It is interesting to  note that
BSU, ISU, and LCSC (in terms of merit pay from last year's salary
increases) provided merit increases for the majority of their employees
ranging from 2.8 to 6.0%.  The U. of I. with more than 2,200 employees
gave merit increases (averaging 7.8%) to fewer than 300 employees
(Source Idaho Dept. Human Resources).  Data from the U. of I. in 2004
also indicated that about 20% of staff were paid at or below the poverty
level.

2.  Public Education Budget  --  The Governor called for a 6.0% increase
for k-12 or a total of $999 million.  This includes the 1% increase for
teachers and an increase in technology funding of $4 million and
restoring "Least Restrictive Environment" funding of $1 million.
     The Governor did not include any funding for remediation efforts
for as many as 17,000 low performing students in non-Title 1 schools.

     Idaho teachers are doing a good job.  A quote from the Jan 11th
Twin Falls Times News indicates that "When you're near the bottom in per
pupil spending, in the bottom third of teacher salary, but help students
achieve in the top half of the national rankings, it shows Idaho
teachers giving more than their getting."

3.  Funding for Higher Education  --  The Governor is recommending a $14
increase.  This includes funding for the accelerating enrollments
experienced by Idaho universities.  He is recommending that we  keep the
$23 million cigarette tax in place and direct it to the Permanent
building fund.  This would assist universities with maintenance costs
and for new buildings.

4.  Highway Construction  --  The Governor proposed the most expensive
and sweeping highway project in Idaho's history.  He is calling on the
Legislature to borrow $1.6 billion to build 258 miles of roads in every
corner of the state.  Much of the money would be directed to improving
Highway 95.  Conservatives question whether the state should be
obligated to go so far into debt.

5.  Rural Idaho  --  Almost $1 million is proposed for the Rural Idaho
Initiative bringing the total fund to almost $5 million.

6.  Business Incentives  --  The Governor also proposed new tax breaks
for companies that add 500 new jobs with high salaries and spend at
least $50 million in new buildings or plants.

These are just a few of the issues outlined in the Governor's State of
the State address.  Constituents can reach me via e mail at
ttrail at house.state.id.us

I appreciate your comments and concerns.

Rep. Tom Trail
ttrail at house.state.id.us