[Vision2020] Rush Limbaugh and three-card Monty, or greed my butt

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:43:49 PST 2005

Dear Visionaries:

I agree with everything Melynda says; the way we treat our military dead and wounded and their families is disgraceful.  The paltry amounts paid to war widows, widowers, and their children speaks louder than Mr. Bush's flight suit Macarena on the deck of the USS Lincoln.  Ignore the rhetoric; that $6000 death benefit tells us all we need to know about where our real priorities lie.

As for that fat bastard, Rush Limbaugh, I think it's worth noting that what he's setting up here is a false dichotomy.  As Ron points out, the 9/11 families received a negotiated settlement to keep them from suing the airlines.  It was an industry bail-out, no different in intent and purpose than the bail-outs of the savings & loan industry in the early '90s or the Chrysler Corp. in the early '80s.  What was paid to the 9/11 families has nothing whatsoever to do with our parsimonious treatment of our servicemen and women.  Mr. Bush could change the latter with the stroke of a pen.  He could ask Congress for more money for hazardous duty pay, for widows' and widowers' pensions, for disability benefits, funeral costs, and a host of other service-related compensations.  If Mr. Limbaugh really gave a rat's ass about our men and women in uniform, he'd be asking why Mr. Bush hasn't asked for more money for these things.  Instead, he's decided to tar the families of 9/11 as greedy money-grubbers.  I invite you to ask yourself why he's doing this -- could it be because many of the victims' families have been publicly critical of the Bush Administration and its response to both the creation of the 9/11 commission and the implementation of that commission's recommendations?

When we pit the loss of military families against the loss of the families of the 9/11 attacks, we play a wicked and deceitful game, and we do it purely for partisan political gain.  We're playing three-card Monty with genuine human tragedy.  Rush and his handlers (the GOP hacks who brought us war in Iraq on false pretenses) draw our attention to a load of hooey about the supposed greed of 9/11 families (those Democratic New York elitists) in order to take our eyes off of the fact that our government is treating our soldiers like shit.  As any Vietnam or Korean War vet can tell you, this is an old, old story.  We love our soldiers when they're headed off to war; we wave our flags and tell ourselves how handsome they look in their uniforms.  But when they come home tattered or damaged or dead in a coffin, where are we then?  Where are our flags and our patriotism and our ever-lasting love and gratitude and support?  How do we care for the disabled?  How do we care for the families of the dead?  Rush needs to stop looking at the 9/11 families with his jaundiced eye and instead start looking in the mirror.  We all do.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment