[Vision2020] (Fwd) [Fwd: why do we let this greed continue?]

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Wed Jan 19 11:42:20 PST 2005

I'm definitely in the "loathe" category when it comes to Mr. Limbaugh--but
the point he makes is an important one--at least till he gets to the tired
old rhetoric about "entitlement politics."  Leaving that inflammatory and
unnecessary remark aside, the question of how we compensate the men and
women in the armed forces is particularly important.

When we consider that soldiers are overwhelmingly recruited from the lowest
income brackets in our nation, and that they are disproportionately people
of color (among enlisted ranks), our treatment of military personnel becomes
even more disgraceful.   These are vulnerable people whose lack of other
opportunities for education and employment funnel them into the military,
where we exploit them without shame.

We sent these young people to fight and die in Iraq (and, it appears, will
soon send them to Iran) on fabricated evidence, with inadequate equipment,
and with a delusional plan for victory.  When they die there, we turn our
backs on their families.

As a Quaker, of course I oppose all military action; as a citizen of the
United States I oppose the exploitation of soldiers to further a cynical and
elitist political agenda.  Is this what we have come to as a
nation--torturers, liars, exploiters of our own population to enrich and
secure the positions of a few powerful men?

Some analysts recently have drawn parallels between the U.S. and Nazi
Gernamy in 1935 or '36.  As a student of the classics, I see a closer
parallel in Imperial Rome--we have become a bloated imperial power, sending
occupying forces wherever we deem the financial interests of the small group
of men who own our nation require them.  Like Rome, we are overextended,
overconfident, and hugely vulnerable to the guerilla forces which resist us.
  Our flight-suit clad Nero, drunk on power and privilege, imagines himself
invulnerable.  Unlike Caesar, who retained a slave at his side to whisper to
him, "You too are mortal," Bush has driven from him every dissenting voice:
as Colin Powell fades away, he is replaced with Condoleeza Rice, who
testified this morning that it is her duty as Secretary of State to maintain
complete solidarity with the President in all things, so that no hint of
differing opinions will ever emerge.

We are running headlong toward an age much darker than that which followed
the collapse of Rome.  As we turn our backs on our own nation--leaving basic
human needs such as food, education, health care unmet in the midst of
outrageous plenty--we generate the armies of revolution, who have nothing to
lose, indeed, but their chains.  We can't build the prisons fast enough to
contain the disenfranchised, bitter, and reckless multitudes we're creating.
  The gap between the richest and the poorest is growing by leaps and
bounds.

We are the richest nation in the world, and the most powerful.  We could
lead the world in literacy, in care for infants and children, in providing
health care, in justice and economic opportunity, in education for all.  Why
don't we?

Melynda Huskey