[Vision2020] Compassionate Communication Classes

Bill London london at moscow.com
Wed Jan 19 10:46:56 PST 2005

Introduction to Compassionate Communication, February 8
Compassionate Communication Class beginning February 15
   A13-week Compassionate Communication Class will be held Tuesday nights, 7-9pm, in the Yellow House basement (next to the Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse corner of Second and Van Buren, Moscow) starting February 15. The class is based on Marshall Rosenberg's book: Nonviolent Communication, a Language of Life, and uses the exercises in the NVC Companion Workbook by Lucy Leu. Reading the first chapter before the class is recommended.

  The basic model of Compassionate Communication is simple, but life changing. The practice, particularly helped by studying with a group, illuminates our habitual, often unhelpful, patterns of thinking and communicating so that we are able to consciously choose ways of interacting that connect us deeply and compassionately with ourselves and each other. We learn to observe without evaluating, identify, express and take responsibility for our feelings and needs, and make clear requests. We learn that the power of empathy is what makes violence not only unnecessary, but a poor strategy for getting our needs met. "...every relationship in your life-with family or friends, co-workers, students, teachers, even with yourself-has the potential for positive, permanent transformation" (L.Leu). Compassionate Communication is not about being nice; it is about directly and fully engaging in life.

  If you are interested, please attend the Introduction Feb 8, 7-8pm, on the main floor of the Yellow House. Both the Introduction and the Class are free and open to the public. For more information, or to enroll, please call Veronica Lassen at 882-2562. Also see www.PalouseCC.org and www.cnvc.org for information.

  Bio:
  Veronica Lassen has been teaching Compassionate Communication for three years, and attended a nine-day intensive workshop with Marshall Rosenberg.  She is a local counselor and midwife.