[Vision2020] ITD workshops today n tomorrow

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 09:10:50 PST 2005

The findings of the first Moscow transportation study (out of three
recommended), regarding a by-pass, are that Moscow does not need a by-pass
that meets "federal design" standards. Moscow is about to receive a
"federally designed" highway from the South.  In my mind there are some
considerable incongruences in promoting relief of traffic by designing the
highway to federal standards and relief of traffic for the city via a
locally controlled by-pass or Ring Road, or what ever term one chooses to
purposely exclude the Fed. If we don't need one, we don't need the other.
With a new highway, built to Federal standards, a by-pass likely will come,
built to these same standards. If the present concept of "ring road system"
is put into place before that time, these new approaches of US 95 into
Moscow need increased scrutiny now. The choices for the highway are to go
east or west of the present route, or to improve the existing route.
Residents need to seriously consider how this forthcoming highway will tie
into a future by-pass built to the same standards as the highway.  The
furthest extremes of routing East or West will influence, if not altogether
lock in, the application of a future outcome.  Please come to the workshops
for routing US 95 at the eastside marketplace Wed. and Thurs. 19th-20th
sessions from 1-4 pm and 5:30-8:30 and take part in the decision making
process.