[Vision2020] USA Child Maltreatment Deaths

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 12:06:06 PST 2005

Coop et. al.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

See info at bottom about child maltreatment deaths in the USA compared to
other nations.

My post was loosely aimed at exposing contradictions between various moral
positions our culture takes regarding protection of the "innocent," especially
children.

I mentioned the USA's stand on allowing the execution of those committing
crimes as minors, executions only approved in a small number of nations some
would regard as poor examples of governments who support human rights, yet there
the USA is keeping company with those governments regarding minors and this
stand on the death penalty.

I did not mean to suggest that those who "shrug" at the deaths of innocents
in Afghanistan and Iraq approve of these deaths, but that they are morally
willing to accept them for the good (sic) that ostensibly will result from our
military action in these nations.  But then some of these same people will not
support programs to help children in the USA, or will denounce in absolute moral
terms difficult choices regarding abortion.  Maybe there is way to eliminate
the moral contradictions suggested, but to accept the killing and maiming of
huge numbers of innocents and children in a foreign country, blocking aid to
children here, and then trying to stop all abortion because of the ultimate
value of protecting all life, even of the unborn, does suggest some serious moral
inconsistencies.

It appears you agree somewhat with the thesis that the militarization of the
USA does have consequences regarding our rates of domestic violence.

Anyway, the facts are clear that the USA is not a nation that puts the
welfare of children at the top of its list of priorities.  The USA is way down the
list of nations in terms of the overall well being and safety of children
within its borders.

So while many pat themselves on the backs for the USA being a moral and
righteous leader of nations regarding our treatment of "innocent" people, e.g.,
children, the facts tell a different story.

It is clear that I am aiming my comments at current "culture wars" here in
the USA.

And on that note, here are some facts for consideration:

More children (under the age of 15) die every year from maltreatment in the
world's richest nations than the total number killed in the 9/11 attacks.  The
USA has rates 10-15 times higher than the nations at the top of the list of
rich nations regarding child deaths from maltreatment:

>From the UNICEF web site:

Report Card five: A League Table of Child Maltreatment Deaths in Rich Nations

The fifth Report Card represents the first ever attempt to draw a comparative
picture of the physical abuse of children in the 27 richest nations of the
world. UNICEF research estimates that almost 3,500 children under the age of 15
die from physical abuse and neglect every year in the industrialized world.
The greatest risk is among younger children. A small group of countries - Spain,
Greece, Italy, Ireland and Norway - appear to have an exceptionally low
incidence of child maltreatment deaths; Belgium, the Czech Republic, New Zealand,
Hungary and France have levels that are four to six times higher. The United
States, Mexico and Portugal have rates that are between 10 and 15 times higher
than those at the top of the league table. The good news is that child deaths
from maltreatment appear to be declining in the great majority of
industrialized countries.

http://www.unicef-icdc.org/research/ESP/CIIC1.html

V2020 Post by Ted Moffett