[Vision2020] Question for those that want to privatize socialsecurity

wocsom at earthlink.net wocsom at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 16 17:56:00 PST 2005

Mr. Arnold, you make an excellent point.  I'm 44 and haven't made a
personal judgement one way or the other (current system, private accounts,
or a combination of the two based on one's age).  However, US Senator
Stabenow of Michigan stated that the President's plan, which is estimated
to involve transition costs of $1 trillion to $2 trillion (according to
CBO), would worsen the ballooning deficits that currently exist.  Your
point of current retirees depending on the same tax dollars that would be
diverted to savings accounts is the "fly in the ointment" and I have yet to
see any specifics that detail a very specific transition to private
accounts.  Perhaps one possible stabilizer could be to tax total income for
social security vs. only the first $90K (I believe that's the current
amount taxed) although I'm not sure how much revenue would be generated to
shore up the current way of doing social security business.  I really
haven't read much on that angle either.  Do we want to raise taxes?  Do we
want to cut benefits?  Do we do nothing?  A tough nut to crack for sure.

Coop