[Vision2020] Recall Question

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:48:42 PST 2005

Saundra,

This is really interesting to watch to say the least. I would be out
speaking against the recall effort, but it is obvious that Mr.Weitz doesn't
have a clue what he doing and will never succeed in even getting the
petition on the ballot.

There seems to be confusion on three major points.

1) It is 20% of registered voters in the last city election. Not the number
of voters in the last state election.

2) It is 60 days from the time the first signature is collected, not 75
days. That number (75) of days is required for state elected officials. city
elected officials are different than state elected, state elected include
country commissioners, local legislators (state senate and (2) state
Representatives) and gubernatorially elected offices.

3) The third mistake that people are making is that they believe that they
can collect the signatures then go to the clerk to get the petitions
recognized. You cannot do this. All of the signatures that Dr. Weitz has
collected are invalid and would be illegal for the uses of a recall or
petition. Here is why;

The rules for having a recall election are not suppose to be easy if a
candidate is doing their job correctly and has the support of 40%+ of the
people. This is to protect the rights of the people that elected them. It
would be unfair if every time we elected someone the minority had a recall.
So the way to determine this is to use two factors, one the number of days
you have to collect the signatures, and two, the number of signatures you
collected. If an elected official was acting in a capacity to anger 51%-100%
of the population, getting 20% would be a fairly easy task to accomplish
within 60 days.

What Dr. Weitz is doing is wrong, unethical and illegal. The reason why is
because by collecting signatures beforehand, he and his supporters are
trying to cheat the system that protects the people's choice to fill that
office with fruitless and time consuming endeavors through legal
maneuvering.

Any idiot, given enough time, can get 20% of the people to sign against
almost any politician. This is why the time limit is so important.

I personally don't like the recall system the way it is set up in a pularity
election. Let me explain why.

In our system of electing city council members (a pularity system), we cast
1-3 votes for three seats. The top three vote getters get the three seats.
The problem with this is that most elected officials in a pularity system
never get to 50% of the vote in a 4 or more person race.

So a candidate can get elected with just 35% of the vote then be recalled by
the 65% that didn't vote for them. That is why I don't like the recall laws.
I would like to see a system that requires that a member not be removed
unless they get less votes (percent wise) than the next person on the ballot
that didn't win. This makes more sense. Our current system makes it so a
candidate getting 35% of the vote can easily get elected then recalled, then
elected again, then recalled, and on and on. That is stupid, and people like
Dr. Weitz are the ones trying to take advantage of that weakness in our
legal system.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold