[Vision2020] Community, commitment, and living with Bozo

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 27 13:10:08 PST 2005

Dear Visionaries,

When I was kid of about four or five, I really loved Bozo the Clown.  I loved him so much that I asked my mother to please open the TV and push me in there with him.  She tried explaining that this wasn't possible, but I didn't believe her.  I knew she was wrong because one sad day, I saw my Belleville, Michigan Brownie troop on Bozo's show.  I missed the Brownie meeting that week because I was at home recuperating from a severe asthma attack.  Bozo broke my heart; I feared that we'd never be together.  But then I moved to Moscow, Idaho!  Not only was I finally in the box with Bozo, I learned that there was more than one.  Moscow was home to Bozos galore!  In fact, I soon discovered the need for a Bozo filter.  And a delete key.  And quite a lot of patience.  (I could certainly use some more of the latter.  I'm forever running out, and I can't seem to find any for sale on Ebay.)

Saundra is correct that we cannot know what all others do to make this community a better place.  Some are out front, organizing marches and protests; others work quietly and effectively behind the scenes, doing outreach or lending a hand or performing various and sundry invaluable acts of kindness.  And then, there's me.  And Rose.  And Tom.  And Saundra.  And all of the rest of the people that Doug Wilson and Jim Fisher and Dale Courtney (Doug's unofficial echo chambers) choose to call Intoleristas.  We've done the research, son, and we know the score.  We've commiserated for many years now with the victims of Doug's grotesque spiritual abuse, and we are outraged that this sort of thing goes on in our community, right here under our collective noses and before our very eyes.  And yet there are none so blind as those who will not see; this town is full of folk with blinders on 24/7 and their fingers in their ears singing la-la-la-la can't hear you.

Satire is my bag, and I use it to bring down the mighty; I use it to lay them low.  I am laughing my way to a better Moscow, one in which the only Bozos are the ones I'd like to spend time with in a box.  Community requires commitment, and it seems to me that Moscow is only four or five commitments away from being a really fine place to live.

Some of those commitments, of course, will be involuntary.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com

Auntie Establishment
Serving Idaho's liberal elite since 1993Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com