[Vision2020] Response to Mr. Budge's misfacts--Gritman/UI

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 27 03:40:08 PST 2005

Mr. Budge,

Thank you for actually taking the time to go over this issue. Most people
don’t give a damn about the welfare of the students and if they are getting
screwed out of benefits. It is at least evident that you do. And I very much
doubt your IQ is in the neighborhood of 80.  But that just means you are
legally accountable for your actions. :P And that can be a big negative
sometimes.

Rather than making our correspondence longer and more complicated, I will
make it simple, and provide you with enough information.

Here are my objections and complains

1)	I cannot get other health insurance besides what UI provides me.
2)	UI and Gritman cut my benefits
3)	I cannot get the health services I need and was getting before 2002
4)	They are charging me more than any other college or university in the
state
5)	All of this was done to benefit Gritman and UI financially at the health
of the students

This is fact.

If you want information on this that is fine.

Evidence for my complaints.

I don’t have the ability to buy health insurance from UI AND another health
insurance provider. Why do I have to have both insurances you ask? Because
the only health insurance I can afford to buy doesn’t have $500,000 worth of
coverage, which I don’t need. I want health insurance that has a lower limit
and instead covers things that I need. The University requires this $500,000
to opt out of their program. So I am forced to have their health insurance
rather than one that address my needs and the needs of most college students
and we had before 2002.

2) and 3) The University cut my benefits. I use to have dental, I no longer
do. I now have to pay 25% more, and I get 25% less. That isn’t a better
plan. The things that I used, and the things that MOST the college students
used, were cut. I don’t care if other benefits were added, sure my co-pay
for a mammogram might be less, but guess what, that benefit doesn’t do me
crap. I would rather have my annual health exams back because I can USE
them. And I don’t give a crap what people in France, England, or Montana are
co-paying for a mammogram. I don’t need it. I would rather pay 25% more for
stuff I need then others then pay 20% less for benefits 99.9999999% of
college students use.

4) BSU ISU, LCSC, all show and prove that it is possible to have an
insurance plan that is cheaper than $1000 a year. Why not give the students
an option what type of plan they want? Of course BSU has a higher
deductible, they only pay 60% of what UI students do. But they also only
have to have $65,000 in coverage from another plan to opt out, not $500,000.
They also provide services, even if at a higher deductible, for things that
students are more likely to need and use. They also have dental as an
option. UI students have no dental, not even an option. And again, I cannot
afford $500,000 coverage to opt out of UI’s plan to get dental.

5)	The major difference between the Student Health Insurance Plan in 2002
and the ones before was that it dropped most of the popular benefits that
students used, like dental, x-ray scans,  skin treatment, and STD testing,
and replaced it with a $1,000,000 lifetime policy and a $500,000
catastrophic coverage policy and added a 25% increase in cost. This cannot
possibly benefit students. Most UI students don’t need $1,000,000 in
coverage and don’t have $500,000 in property, or even close to that, to
protect incase they get into an expensive accident, like a car wreck.
Further, students are going to need dental. And they don’t have the cash for
that usually, especially a root canal. So this major change is NOT in their
best interests. So why would this change occur?

Well, the obvious question to ask is if the change is not benefiting the
students to a greater extent, who is it benefiting? One of the people that
would be benefiting would be the people that don’t have to pay for the
medical costs if a student has a $250,000 accident and has no insurance that
covers that amount. Those people would be the people that run Gritman
because they are required to pay for indigent care if they don’t have enough
insurance.

Another group of people that might benefit would be UI Administration if
they would not have to provide medical services and still collect the fees
for them.

Now, let us just suppose UI and Gritman got to together and decided to make
an agreement to require UI students to buy health insurance that was so high
in coverage that Gritman would not have to pay the indigent medical costs
anymore. And they decided that UI would get to keep the $20 a semester fee,
and an administration fee for the outsourcing of student health services,
which would go to Gritman of course?

Now you are right, this is just one conspiracy theory, except for one thing,
it did happen. It happened because the same person that was Chair of the
Board of Directors at Gritman was also the UI Administrator in charge of the
student health insurance plan (SHIP) that put the $500,000 requirement on
the health insurance. The result of all this is also documented in the
Gritman financial statements, and UI’s Budget, which I showed you a link to
in another email.

This is why UI and Gritman don’t care if I get $500,000 coverage elsewhere.
UI still gets their fee and Gritman doesn’t have to worry about paying for
my head injury.

You can make the argument that it is irresponsible for a student to pass
medical costs on to the community when they could have afforded health
insurance. But forcing students to purchase $500,000 in coverage, giving up
needed coverage and even HIV testing and dental, all so Gritman doesn’t have
to pay for an accident not covered is a horrible, miserable way to solve a
problem. In addition, Gritman is paid by the government to take care of
those students that cannot afford health insurance, and pay into that
indigent fund. Students are now paying both into the indigent fund and
buying expensive health insurance at the cost of their health for the
benefit of Gritman and UI.

It is not a conspiracy because it was done in the open. And it is not
illegal because they took the precautions of making it legal by going to the
Board of Education and making it so. They even when through the trouble of
putting it in the odd location of the Student Benefits packet to make sure
you saw that it was. However, that doesn’t mean that it is not wrong, and
unfair, and it has hurt many people.

I don’t know what other evidence you want for what I am saying. Anyone can
look this information up at UI or Gritman. If you are confused as to where
to look, I can gave you a few pointers.

I am personally mad at Gritman and some UI Administrators because they cost
me $1000s and $1000s of dollars by cutting my benefits and bar me from
getting adequate health insurance with the $500,000 rule which continues to
cost me money while I am a students. It is totally wrong they do that to
college students. I don’t have a problem with the people that work at
Gritman, just those that continue this costly unfair policy that keeps me
and other students from getting the medical care they need. I don’t like the
government controlling what health care I need and what I can do with my
money. I should be able to freely use my money to by health insurance that
addresses my health needs. Not have to buy health insurance that covers the
needs of Gritman.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold