[Vision2020] Legislative Update VII from Rep. Trail

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 26 20:02:08 PST 2005

I'm curious about the problem with selling alcohol within 300 feet of a
school.

State Alcohol laws prohibit that, except with an exemption, which has
happened.  Moscow has several (Food Coop and Third Street Market. Patty's
buritos just received one)

What specifically is the problem Senator Jack Noble was trying to solve with
his bill?

Why is he being investigated by the ethics committee since anybody could
apply for an exemption?

I doubt he is the first senator to have a conflict of interest with his
business affiliation.  At least its not a huge money maker like natural
resources.

This seems odd.

Garrett Clevenger

http://www.icehouse.net/garrett

"What are we doing to our Home?!:("

4.  Senate Ethics Investigation  --  There hasn't been an ethics
investigation of an Idaho legislator since 1990, but Sen. Jack Noble of
Kuna has given us a chance to see how the process works.  The senator
owns a convenience store and asked a Senate Committee to approve
legislation defining what state law means when it prohibits liquor sales
within 300 feet of a school.  If Noble's bill became law, his and his
wife's store would have been able to apply for a state contract to sell
liquor by the bottle.

     Noble averted directly asking Senate committee members questions
about why he had brought the bill to the committee.  He then even blamed
his wife for part of the problem.  A reporter also found out that the
store has been up for sale for over 16 months.  A liquor license would
greatly add value to the store.

     Along the way the senator blamed the reporter, Dan Popkey, when the
story broke for the situation.  Late this week, Sen. Noble apologized to
the Senate.  We'll now see what the Senate Ethics will do.

I'd appreciate your comments and questions.  My e mail is
ttrail at house.state.id.us   My desk phone is 332-1260.

Rep. Tom Trail