[Vision2020] Gritman's Community Service

Jon Kimberling jonk at n-k-ins.com
Fri Feb 25 10:26:27 PST 2005

Thank you David Budge. You beat me to a number of the punches I intended to
throw back on this one. Donovan Arnold had a rough time in November. Many of
his candidates lost and he is still dealing with that. His answer is to stir
the pot with his, as David stated, pathetic whining.

I would add just a couple things:

1.	I wish Donovan could have been at the strategic planning session I
attended Wednesday afternoon. Gritman invited many community members in to
comment on how the hospital is doing in fulfilling their mission. There were
no Gritman employees in attendance. The facilitator encouraged us to share
the good and the bad. The close to twenty people in my group had rave
reviews for the hospital. There were some problems/challenges discussed but
we all acknowledged that some were beyond the control of Gritman- or any
hospital for that matter. Example- dealing with HIPAA and how that
complicates being user friendly to patients and family members. It’s
especially tough on clergy.
2.	My business had the privilege of providing support services to the
University of Idaho student health program for a number of years. Several
years ago the University followed national trends and made some major
changes in their program. At that point, they no longer needed my local
services and I stepped aside. However, I was privy to information that, if
anything, we were on the end of the curve wherein other colleges and
universities had long ago made insurance mandatory. I would ask Donovan to
do a little research on this. How many schools still have optional insurance
for their students? As David stated, this is a state policy. Additionally,
if you hadn’t noticed, health care delivery and cost is one of our greatest
issues. Have you not noticed the number of health insurance companies that
have gone bankrupt in recent years? I sell lot’s of health insurance and
encourage UI students to give serious consideration to the plan. When I
started with the program, approximately 500 students voluntarily purchased
it. When I finished up, we were at about 3000. A large group has purchasing
power not found when buying an individual policy.
3.	And finally, echoing David’s comment- thank God we live in a county
where it is O.K. to make a profit. The last time I checked we have a few
other for profit entities in town- including C J’s.

We are all very fortunate to have Gritman Hospital in Moscow.

Jon Kimberling