[Vision2020] Gritman's Community Service

B. J. Swanson bjswan at moscow.com
Thu Feb 24 20:12:29 PST 2005

Donovan & Visionaries,

The cost of healthcare is certainly a concern for everyone.  Instead of a
Social Security crisis, the nation probably has a worse healthcare crisis.
It's not just Moscow.

You may think Gritman is a huge for-profit, corporate hospital, but it is
not.  Gritman is non-profit.  It is owned by the community.  The Board of
Directors are all volunteers from the community and receive no pay.  We do
contract with Quorum Health Resources for management of Gritman.  Jeff
Martin is the only Quorum employee at Gritman. If you have ever looked at a
Medicare Cost Report or one of the 300+ contracts Gritman maintains, you
would clearly see that to stay in business and provide healthcare that the
community expects, we contract with a company that specializes in hospital
management.  It's an extremely complicated and costly industry, but it also
saves lives.

Gritman does way more than provide hot chocolate, coffee, etc. to the
community.  Last year, Gritman expensed over $11 million in charity care in
this community.  We care for everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Gritman is also the largest private employer with nearly 400 employees.

The direct healthcare areas of Gritman are tax exempt.  Properties that are
leased or not directly related to healthcare are taxed.  Gritman will pay
it's fair share of a BID assessment if it is approved.

You will find that many hospitals in Idaho started out like Gritman; owned
and supported by the community.  Most have gotten into trouble, sold
themselves to for-profit companies or gave themselves to the Counties and
became taxing districts.  Pullman Regional Hospital is funded by a taxing
district.  The residents of Pullman are taxed to support their hospital.
Gritman is not a tax supported hospital.  You will find no line item on your
tax bill to support Gritman.  It is tax exempt, but you do not pay taxes to
keep it running either.  Most communities that now have tax supported
hospitals would much prefer an arrangement like Gritman.

I challenge you to think of Moscow without Gritman and tell me if you would
be better off.

B. J. Swanson
Chairman of the Board
Gritman Medical Center