[Vision2020] Drunks, drugs, and the empathy factor

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Thu Feb 24 02:23:59 PST 2005

Andreas,

While I was with Community Counseling Centers of Chicago we were
fortunate to have a medical director who implemented a system of
integrated cross disciplinary case management to address mental illness
as well as other conditions such as addiction.  Our client base included
a large number, approximately 2600, homeless individuals referred to us
from the many various shelters and community based medical centers in
Chicago.  Accordingly, at the time, we considered ourselves quite
successful on the diagnosis side.

On the treatment side we had the common mixed results that come with
keeping homeless people on their meds.  Otherwise we did a terrific job
using case management and coordination with various housing agencies to
promote community/social reintegration . But we had less success with
our substance abuse programs.  We followed a modified 12 step model and
found it to be ineffective in the long term management of relapse. As
you probably know, relapse then would interfere with administration of
Rx protocols.

It has been some time since I was activity engaged in the industry and I
was never a clinician but, rather, a board member.  The question I have
is if the community based mental health is space doing anything for
substance abuse research that is different from traditional 12 step-like
programs? Also, what initiatives, if any, are coming from state agencies
such as Medicaid to coordinate publicly funded mental health
organizations with subtonic abuse organizations into overall case
management?

db