[Vision2020] Drunks, drugs, and the empathy factor

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Tue Feb 22 14:19:57 PST 2005

Joan, oops, I misread your last post.  (it's that damn dyslexia thing)
My apologies.  Generally we are in accord on the subject with one caveat.

The vast majority of clinical programs are built on the 12 step model
for long term recovery, hence their effectiveness compares directly with
that model. The AMA and the American Hospital Association both have
dogmatic views of treatment, charge large fees, and are building an
industry with poor outcomes.  The vast majority of people who stop
drinking or taking drugs do so with no clinical help.  Additionally, the
medical protocol for detox and maintenance is a cocktail of SSRI drugs
(like Prozac) with a diazepam chaser to ward off the anti-depressant
jitters.  Accordingly, the medical community is substituting one
addiction for another, the efficacy of which shows little or no clinical
promise from an outcome based review of the literature.

It makes little sense to spend great deals of public funds on
conventional rehabilitation.  One thing that may make sense on a trial
basis, is to provide vocational and social rehabilitation within the
context of drug rehab.  The root causes of addiction usually come from a
need for a larger sense of self.  Many, although not all, addicts lack
basic social skills and have few marketable skills.  Thus, addiction
becomes a vicious cycle of failing then self-medicating to achieve a
sense of well-being.  As I said in a previous post: most addicts only
stop when they want to stop.  If there is a potential positive outcome
it may come in the form of providing an environment for personal
productivity.

I don't know if this program would work, but I think that the literature
provides enough evidence to give it a shot.  Also, I'm not sure if the
federal government is the answer here.  Like Justice Brandeis hypotheses
that "each state is a laboratory of democracy" I think a multitude of
experimentation at the state level would produce positive outcomes faster.

Diverting federal funds from the DEA to the medical industry would
surely be less costly than the current system.  We need to ensure that
special interest groups don't co-opt treatment however.  It seems this
would be throwing good money after bad regardless of the magnitude if we
don't insist on performance accountability.

My name is Dave, and I'm an addict.  I have 2617 days clean.

ps.  Anyone who wants to talk about anything or anyone regarding this
issue should feel free to contact me off list.