[Vision2020] Buffalo:Cruel Joke Relates to Cruel History!

Janice Willard jwillard at turbonet.com
Mon Feb 21 16:56:29 PST 2005

I had heard also that most Indians preferred to be called Indian, rather
than Native American.  Actually the way that I heard it explained was that
they preferred to be called by their tribal name first and if that wasn't
known than "Indian." The reason why the Native American title wasn't working
is that essentially anyone born in America is a Native American.

However, I do not profess to be an expert and simply read this somewhere.

I actually like the term being used in Canada now, which is "First Nations."
However, I don't know if the Canadian First Nations like that term any
better than Native American.  Perhaps it would be more wise if we asked some
tribal counsels, rather than to guess.

Buffalo aren't buffalo, also, if you want to split hairs. The buffalo isn't
on this continent, it is a Asian species.  The large, hooved herbivore on
this continent is correctly called a bison.

For me, the most ridiculous part of that joke was that any human would think
they could drag an adult bison anywhere that it didn't want to go.....

  JW