[Vision2020] "A Very Big Deal"

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Sat Feb 19 22:48:59 PST 2005

Visionaries:
Nathan Wilson, according to his proud father, will soon put Moscow, Idaho on
the map as the home of the man who "figured out how the Shroud of Turin was
originally made."  Nate's happy pappy, Doug Wilson, announced the  startling
news on his blog site _http://dougwils.com/_ (http://dougwils.com/) .  It would
appear  that Nate -- all on his own and up on the roof of the ambiguously
zoned New  St. Andrews College -- has figured out how the Shroud of Turin was
created.  Doug's piece, called "The Shroud of Turin: Toward a Mystery  Solved,"
provides links to an article Nate wrote and a website he  maintains that deals
with this Moscow boy's amazing (miraculous?) scientific  endeavors.
Okay, I confess that members of my family members (particularly that  cranky
medievalist Auntie Establishment) were initially convulsed with laughter  by
Doug's blog.  However, we soon decided  that Doug's piece was an exercise in
paternal irony.  Alas, not  so.  I followed the links provided by Doug and
discovered that Nate,  applying the "the solution patterns of G.K. Chesterton’s
Father Brown  stories, worked through a 'paradigm shift' in the world of current
theories of  Shroud forgery."
I won't give away the story or the solution behind this late-in-life  science
fair experiment of the twenty-something Nate -- you'll have to read  it
yourselves.  I direct you instead to a scientific  explanation of the Shroud at
_http://www.petech.ac.za/shroud/nature.htm_
(http://www.petech.ac.za/shroud/nature.htm) .   Mr. Allen's work predates Nathan's by a number of years, and, it
turns out, Mr.  Allen himself relied on even older work.  I am told (but have
not seen  the show) that a similar theory was presented once upon a time on The
Discovery Channel.  (Auntie again, being a crank.)
I am unfamiliar, except in the most cursory way, with the history of  glass,
but I do have a question about Nate Wilson's shroud theory.   Where does Nate
suppose that a clever early medieval forger got hold  of a sheet of glass of
sufficient size and clarity to produce the  six-foot-two image on the Shroud of
Turin?  Hell, we couldn't get  glass like that in Moscow until the turn of
the century.  Perhaps there was  a Homeum Depotum in medieval Italy?  If Nate
could answer that question,  then I'm sure that puzzled medievalists the world
over would truly thank  him.  (Well, except for Auntie.  She wouldn't thank him
if he  found the Spear of Destiny and the True Cross -- though she speculates
 that perhaps they're up on the NSA roof as  well.)
Rose Huskey