[Vision2020] buffalo

hayfields at moscow.com hayfields at moscow.com
Sat Feb 19 20:35:03 PST 2005

Why does the joke have to be associated with a race, gender, creed...
whatever?  If the joke just isn't funny if you can't tell it without
associating it with a race, creed, gender... maybe that joke isn't funny,
just offensive.   As far as I could tell MH wasn't quibbling about the
word Indian but about the racial stereotype. Maybe Indian wasn't the
preferred term, but from my point of view it was the least offensive part
of the joke.  Again, why not just apologize and try to do better next
time.
I always get concerned when people use the term "politically correct" as
a scapegoat for not trying to think about what we say.  To say that it is
just too hard to remain "politically correct" is to give up on the idea
that we should all be working every day to grant to our fellow humans the
dignity and respect they deserve. And it has nothing to do with
being "politically correct".  That term in and of itself implies that we
are only doing it because someday it might cause us problems, not becuase
we actually care.  And I am sure that nothing could be further from the
truth.

Geez, maybe I will have to follow Joan's example and start my own church,
sorry for the sermon!
Heather Jordan.

When we make a mistake, we can always apologize and thank the person who
corrected us, they have just done us a great service.

What is so hard about that?
> let me explain (some)... As a child African Americans were called a lot
of
> things - racist YES and I hate that (I grew up in the 50s and 60s) I
never
> bought into the slang but the politically correct word if I remember
right
> was Negro. As I got older the phrase changed to black and then African
> American. Maybe there was another one in there someplace.
> Native Americans ... the same.
> SOOOO
> I HAVE to think hard before I speak to figure out which word is the
right
> one these days. I've had to learn and unlearn several and my old brain
is
> not retaining like it used to. I never want to offend people but I hate
that
> I have to walk on eggshells hoping I chose the right phrase. If I didn't
> care, it wouldn't matter.
> Maybe you all are young enough to not have these same types of problems.

phrase "politically