[Vision2020] RE: wake up call

Tami Stinebaugh stin1624 at uidaho.edu
Sat Feb 19 10:16:31 PST 2005

Hi Donovan,

Thanks for your clarification.  I have only taken a few special ed courses recently, and do not have a substantial background in the area (besides my own personal experiences with my son who has a hearing impairment).  However, I am certain that the class that I took told us we should not use the term "mentally retarded" any longer.  Whether or not the instructor was correct or incorrect, I cannot say.  Maybe it is a fairly new move that takes us away from the term "retarded" which is more and more often used in a derogatory way?  I don't know.  I understand what you are saying about cognitive impairment being a more general term.  That makes sense to me.  I just can tell you what I was taught at the last class.  It was a grad student teaching the course, maybe he was confused, but that was the information he delivered, and I assumed he knew what he was talking about.  Any way, I never said I was offended by the term you used, I just offered up what I have heard about it rec
ently.  Take it or leave it, it makes no difference to me!

Tami Stinebaugh (who is very well aware that Vision 2020 is THE most politically correct forum out there, RIGHT????? wink, wink...)