[Vision2020] Legislative Update VI from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Feb 19 07:42:58 PST 2005

   The number of bills being introduced is increasing. There were 28 on
the board this afternoon.  Here are some of the week's happenings.

1.  More on Motorcyclists Wearing Helmets  --  I learned that Idaho
receives  about $240 million in Federal Highway Funds.  Unfortunately,
Idaho loses about $1.5 million in federal highway funds because we don't
have a law requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets.  Sen. David Langhorst
has introduced a bill that would require motorcycle and ATV riders under
18 to wear helmets.

2.  Palouse Aquifer  --  Sen. Shaun Keough sent me a letter indicating
that the North Idaho Working Group concerned with regional water problems
has sent JFAC a request for about $437,000 of one time monies to conduct
research of the Palouse Aquifer.  The money would go directly to the
Dept. of Water Resources.  IDWR personnel would then work local
stakeholders with the research.  The proposal is to conduct research with
wells #2 and #3 and some recharge research.   Sen. Keough suggests
contacting the Governor's office to support the funding request.

     April 6th and 7th will be the dates for the next hearing on the
Naylor request.  We certainly hope for good citizen turnout. The
Commissioners have hired a certified geologist and an excellent water
lawyer.

3.  Business incentive legislation  --  Gov. Kempthorne is proposing a
bill to attract large companies to Idaho.  They would get tax breaks and
would qualify if they pay an average salary of $60,000 plus benefits for
at least 500 jobs and spend $50 million on facilities.  I felt this was
unfair to communities the size of Moscow and along with many others
contacted the Governor's office.  We understand that a companion bill
which would provide incentives for companies employing at least 50 people
at an average salary of $40,000 will also be presented.  This certainly
would be more conducive for communities the size of Moscow.

4.  Golden Child of State Agencies  --  since K-12 seems to be under
attack it is interesting to see there is One Golden Child of all of our
agencies.  I asked the Division of Fiscal Management to run a 10-year
budget profile on the State Board of Education.  The SBOE has received a
1,032 % increase in budget over the past 10 years or an average increase
of over 27% a year.  They also have 4 FTPs working for them from the
Division of Professional and Technical Education.  This would add an
additional $90,000 to their budget per year.

     One of the questions I raised is, "Is all this budget increase for
our children or to create a bloated bureaucracy?"  In times of dramatic
cuts at the University of Idaho and with almost no increases in teacher
salaries, I wonder where the question of accountability of tax payer
funds comes in.  One can't entirely blame the Board because they are
appointed by the Governor and obviously have a shining countenance with
the Legislature.

5.  Teacher Salaries  -  I supported Dr. Howard's salary increase of 3%
for teachers.  Teachers have received very little in increases during the
past three years.  It appears that the final decision for teacher salary
increases will be made by JFAC.  Co-Chair of JFAC Rep.  Maxine Bell told
me "the money is just not there."

    This leaves two possibilities:  that JFAC will endorse the Governor's
proposal of 1% or simply not fund any increases. The CEC Committee voted
down a 2% increase plus paying the employees health insurance proposed by
Sen. John Anderson (I voted for the proposal)  The Committee voted down
the Governor's proposal of 1% and then Rep. Lake introduced a resolution
for no salary increase.   This lost on a 12-12 tie.  So the issue of
state worker compensation will remain in the hands of JFAC.

6.  Ada County Courthouse  --  I've received about 20 messages from Dist.
6 constituents to support the renovation of the Ada County Courthouse.
We have a beautifully restored post office in Moscow.  The post office
built in 1930 in Boise is another beautiful example of restoration.  The
Senate by a 34-1 vote is supporting the idea of building two wings on the
Capitol.  This begs the question of the courthouse and it's future.

I'd appreciate your comments and concerns.  My e mail is
ttrail at house.state.id.us and phone 332-1260 and 332-1058.

Rep. Tom Trail