[Vision2020] Check Addresses of "Private" E-mail, etc.

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Feb 18 13:14:52 PST 2005

Scott et. al.

The example I was suggesting was when someone writes "private" in the subject
heading but accidentally sends the e-mail to the V2020 list.  Then this
e-mail will have the V2020 address contained automatically, so that someone
replying to this "private" e-mail might again accidentally send it to the V2020 list.

Both the sender and the responder in this case would not be paying very good
attention. But someone is not paying very good attention anyway when they
don't see the V2020 address is present as a "send to" address, or they add the
V2020 address, and end up sending "private" e-mail to the list, well, unless this
is "accidentally on purpose."  This has happened on V2020 so many times there
are quite a few people not paying attention.

My point was simply that when responding to V2020 posts or "private" e-mails
generated from list discussions, it is simple to check the addresses (unless
the address list is very long) to know for sure whether your reply will go to
the list or not.  Simple mistakes are easy to miss sometimes.  All it takes is
one click on the wrong "button."

I have made this mistake of clicking on "reply all" and had to correct my
error!  A few times I have not caught this error and sent a "private" e-mail to
the list, so my scenario here is not just theoretical.  But as far as I know
there is no easy way to remove these mistakes from the V2020 archives.

Relying on ONLY checking the subject heading for the word "private," or some
words meaning the same thing, is no guarantee your reply, that may contain
someone else's "private" message, will not end up on the list.

Ted Moffett