[Vision2020] Give 'em enough rope...

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Feb 15 15:58:40 PST 2005

And now a word from a member of the "Let's get him" crew -

Fiat Lux stated:

"Will public outcry or the letter of the law reign supreme?"

Since when is it always assumed that there is a distinction between "public
outcry" and "the letter of the law"?  Most laws are a result of public
outcry.  Perhaps the complaint filed by three citizens of Moscow against NSA
and its management reflects that there is no distinction.

And yet Fiat Lux goes on to say:

" If he [Wilson] is a "bad guy" I trust he will get his, but in God's time.
This is where "Give 'em enough rope..." comes into play.   The waiting can
be the hardest part."

Well, Mr./Mrs./Ms. Lux, punishments imposed for violations of established
law do not allow for "in God's time" and we can be thankful for that.  I
mean . . . GET REAL!  Could you imagine if every sentence handed down was to
be imposed "in God's time"?  When the family dog poops on the rug, do you
rub his/her nose in it immediately or do you wait, thinking that "The
waiting [by the dog] can be the hardest part?"

Deterrence can be achieved if (and only if) punishment is swift and just.

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are
dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all
exist very nicely in the same box.