[Vision2020] Tax by the mile

Dan Carscallen predator75 at moscow.com
Tue Feb 15 15:19:21 PST 2005

There are other factors to consider when you look at road maintenance
besides the wear on the surface by "lighter" vehicles.  How bad have the
winters been?  A frequent snow removal will also wear the road surface,
because the public wants bare pavement/gravel so they can continue to
drive fast (and cleanse the gene pool, as Mark said a while back in
another thread).  I know there's been some back and forth on how studded
tires affect the roadway, I'd bet dollars to donuts that's what causes
the two channels I noticed going up 6th street hill the other day, but
I'm no engineer.  Wet springs, floods, old culverts, ditches that need
cleaning -- all these are paid for by gas taxes (along with other
sources, but gas taxes are a big chunk).

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm as against any new taxes as the next guy,
but some funding needs to come from somewhere.  There was a big hit on
it back after 9/11 when people werent' travelling as much, then again
after gas prices started jumping.  The funds are trending back up,
slightly, and I'm pretty sure the bulk of Idahoans will continue to
drive their monster trucks no matter what the gas price, so this state
won't get pinched too hard.

Then again, I'm not sure I understand all I know about the subject.

DC