[Vision2020] B.I.D.

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Mon Feb 14 22:02:59 PST 2005

Phil,
I think I can understand your frustrations.  I'm sure there have been many
past efforts that have been a waste of money.  Efforts have only gone so far
then fizzled.  There is no guarantee that the new BID proposal will succeed
either.

I view this BID as another chance to develop convergence and unity amongst
the downtown business owners.  The petition needs to have >50% buy-in, with
a target of 80% makingit more viable.  Unlike political campaigns, there's
not much sense in pursuing a BID victory with 51%.  There needs to be
significant agreement that this is a good thing, or else it will go the way
of other failed attempts.

I encourage you (and anyone else that is interested) to come to the Moscow
Civic Association's meeting 2/15/05 @ 7:30p 1912 bldg. concerning this very
topic.  I don't know the specific format of the discussion, but there will
be a panel there to answer questions about the proposed BID.

The only way for the BID or any other form of unification to work is for
there to be popular support.  If there is a visioned benefit, then the
easier support can be garnered.  The benefit from the BID is most entirely
determined by the entities paying into it (likely, the property owners.)
This does beg the question of how will business owners benefit (since they
may often not be the property owner)?  I don't know how this gets resolved,
except over time with continued discussions to look at options.

As a co-chair of the Chamber's Community Development Committee, I feel the
concept is good.  If the specifics can get worked out and significant
concensus developed, that has great worth in, if nothing else, demonstrating
a level of cohesion this community sorely needs.  But getting people to
agree to it is just an ealy step, there needs to be more planning and
follow-through.  Let's see how far it gets.

Mark

Full Circle Studios
Mark Seman, Architect
Heather Seman, Landscape Architect
1404 East 'F' Street  Moscow, Idaho 83843
v 208-883-3276 / f 208-883-0112