[Vision2020] Legistlative update V from Rep. Trail - Feb 7-11

Pat Kraut pkraut at moscow.com
Sun Feb 13 22:35:09 PST 2005

You have misread my comment because of a lack of knowledge. I shall now enlighten you...I am all for helmet laws. I also don't like people riding around in the back of pickups. If I had my way no one would get hurt in any manner that lead to brain death. However, people won't wear their helmets and they do ride around in the back of pickups and get brain dead no matter how we try to stop them. Now for the other part of the story. I have two sons who have totally failed kidneys so I am very aware of the agony of families who wait for 'parts'. Most of those who need liver transplants are children under the age of ten and they die before they get the transplant. Those waiting for kidneys must suffer the indignities of dialysis in a variety of ways that most of you couldn't watch without becoming ill. So, even though I am a Christian I want you to know that I never and I do mean NEVER pray that one of my sons get the transplant he needs no matter how sick he is because it means that I am asking God to take someone else's loved one to save mine. You cannot even come close to knowing or understanding how tough it is. I only pray that people will WEAR THEIR HELMETS, seatbelts and not ride in the back of pickups (I believe that my youngest son got his first transplant from a fifteen year old who was riding in the back of a pickup and fell out hitting her head on the curb. It was instant brain death. I won't even try to tell how I feel about this.). But people will do those things so I only ask that they sign their organ donor card and tell their families that they really mean it. And then yes we could use one tragedy to help someone else. I am aware it may sound ghoulish to you but it is only because you don't live where I live. Now, is all this logical? Probably not, it is probably pure emotion but maybe you will stop being so sure that you can read my 'conservative Christian' mind. And you can be very grateful you don't work in the ethics department of a hospital. Now, what color would you make this??