[Vision2020] Re: Noam Chomsky and other concerns

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Sun Feb 13 02:01:36 PST 2005

Joan, it's unfair of you to stuff words in my mouth (as in Horowitz) as
I've hardly room for my feet as it is.  Secondly. I agree with Horowitz
about as much as I agree with Hitchens (not so much),  but as I've said,
even a broken clock is right twice a day.  Hitchens, however, can turn a
rhetorical phrase almost as well as Churchill (that's Winston, not Ward)
and I read him for his style more than his substance.  Do you think it's
possible I could agree with his positions on economics after listening
to several days of my hun-like narratives on libertarianism? He does
drink too much though (scotch, not bourbon), and I'm with you on
Yugoslavia.

I'm a bit skeptical on the Lancet's "100,000 dead" statistic you quote
as even Human Rights Watch thinks that number is quite exaggerated, and
the leading source of tracking such numbers, iragbodycount.net, puts the
high side at just under 20,000. Not that that's insignificant, but one
must needs to be careful when spouting statistics that may be
incendiary.  Keep in mind that Human Rights Watch estimated that Saddam
murdered an average of about 30,000 a year for ten years. Personally, I
was extremely conflicted over the Iraq initiative and never endorsed
military action, but there are very smart people on both sides of the
argument and I've not just yet made up my mind as the rationale of the
arguments are most often based on a yet inconclusive outcome. (how's
that for a chicken-sh_t answer.)  I will, however, stand on my position
that pulling out now would be immoral, but I'm sure you have much to say
about that.

Last but not least, my suffering from a chronic case of over-zealous
optimism, makes me stick to my guns in hope for you having some sort of
political epiphany.  And, as apparently went unnoticed, I'm much more
interested in you leaving the Democratic party than I am recruiting you
into any other.  I'm just hoping for greater pluralism in our politics,
especially among the learned.  I'm sure that now that Howard (my
barbaric yaup) Dean has become Chair of the DNC, you've great hope for
the revival of the New Deal.  But perhaps I'm discounting your last
(incredibly insightful) paragraph as glibness.

Dave Budge