[Vision2020] Legistlative update V from Rep. Trail - Feb 7-11

Rep Trail strail2 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 06:22:12 PST 2005

Dear Visionaries:              LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER V--FEB 7-11/2005

 This was a fairly slow week in the Legislature; however, things will
rapidly be picking up as over 100 bills were read across the desk today.
The number  of bills written up this year is down by 15-20%.

Here are some of the highlights:

1.  Motorcycle Helmet Legislation  --  At the request of the ASUI
Students, several Moscow doctors, and others, I introduced legislation
that would require all motorcyclists and passengers to wear helmets.
This was voted down by the Transportation Committee 7-5.  Idaho voted in
such a law in 67 but it was repealed in 78.  The death  of three
students in Moscow last fall who were killed in accidents where they
weren't wearing helmets triggered my interest in the issue.  Nationally,
motorcycle accidents are up 97% since 1997.  In Idaho only 39% of
motorcyclists wear helmets.  The cost of  motorcycle accidents in 2003
was $32 million for those wearing helmets and $66 million for those not
wearing helmets.  The evidence is clear that wearing helmets prevents
many deaths  and injury.   About 50% of motorcyclists don't have
insurance and  so counties or the state pick up the medical expenses.
Those who  voted against the bill said it was a matter of personal
responsibility.  My point is that the Idaho taxpayer is picking up the
medical costs  for these uninsured cyclists that total over a million
dollars.  I'll bring  the bill back again next year.

2.  HB 167  Updating of Animal Cruelty Legislation  --  I'm working with
Dr. Becky Phillips, DVM, in updating laws pertaining to Animal Cruelty.
Dr. Phillips practiced in the Genesee area for 20 years.  We are working
with the Idaho Humane Society and others in this effort.  We propose the
state of Idaho adopt the felony penalty  for anyone (except as
authorized by law) who inflicts substantial pain on, causes physical
injury to, or kills an animal by means causing undue suffering, or
forces a minor to inflict unnecessary pain, injury, or death on an
animal.  Offenses not amounting to first degree cruelty shall be guilty
of a misdemeanor.  The felony penalty would also be imposed on those
engaged in dog and cockfighting.  Dog and cockfighting were banned in
England in 1831.

3.  SAFE Act  -- this week I've been in touch with Sen. Craig and
Congressman Otter regarding the possibility of introducing a Joint
Memorial from the Legislature to support the SAFE Act.  The SAFE Act
modifies the Patriot Act.  The major proposed changes include:
(1) modify the provisions regarding the roving wiretaps to require that
the identity of the target by given and the suspect be present during
the time when surveillance is conducted;
(2) revises provisions governing search warrants to limit the
circumstances when the delay of notice may be exercised and to require
reports to Congress when delays of noticed are used;
(3) requires specific and articulable facts be given before business
records are subject to investigation by the FBI;
(4) provides that libraries shall not be treated as communications
providers subject to providing information and transaction records of
library patrons.

4.  SB1066, sponsored by Sen. Joe Stegner would allow for the
prosecution of a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in public school
for knowingly allowing a child to become a habitual truant.

5.  SJM 101 sponsored by Sen. Gary Schroeder calls on Congress  to
exempt from NCLB requirements, without loss of funding, all states that
do not have at least one city of one million people or more

6.  BSU Survey - Idahoans see things differently than their own
legislators  --  a new BSU statewide survey showed some clear and
interesting  disconnects between citizens and their legislators:
(a)  Eight percent of Idahoans want the state to pay for local school
buildings.  Legislators have paid state dollars towards interest on
school buildings but have refused to pay any principal.  A lawsuit to
settle who should pay for schools remains unresolved after 13 years.
(b)  Idahoans want to be able to vote to raise their taxes for needs
close to home:  55 percent agree with the idea and 28 percent oppose it.
Legislators have refused to budge on giving the voters the right to make
the choice on paying for needs such as public transportation and other
services.
(c)  Idahoans aren't too worked up over the sales tax:  63 percent of
the respondents said the current six percent sales tax is just about
right.  Obviously, the Governor and most of the Legislature disagree and
will honor the sunset of the tax on July 1st.  This eliminates $180
million a year, and this time next year we will be facing a $100 to $150
million budget deficit.  We will be faced with raising taxes, cutting
services and raising some taxes, or severely cutting services without
raising taxes (this happened in 52 when LCSC was closed).  The decision
will providing some interesting times in an election year.
(d)  Idahoans demand open government:  54 percent of Idahoans oppose
closed door legislative meetings to conduct business, while only 28
percent support the idea.  My position is that government should be
transparent.

You can contact me at ttrail at house.state.id.us.  My desk phone is
332-1260.

Rep. Tom Trail