[Vision2020] Auntie's Politics and Yiddish

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Fri Feb 11 13:45:34 PST 2005

Joan,

I'm more pleased that you party affiliation is "largely vestigial"
(something like how the English view their teeth) than I can possibly
describe.  There's hope for you yet.  This is, however,  in the context
of my underlying belief that the two party system manifestly
marginalizes the rational evolution of law and produces an inefficient
outcome which tends to satisfice, rather than optimize, due to its
partisan oligarchic power struggle.  Well leave it at that for now.  So
as is germane to topical relevance, we'll tackle our inconsistencies and
leaps of faith taken on little evidence.  The pleasure will surely be mine.

Now for the yiddish.  Both you and Melynda Husky came damn close.

"Bubby kvetched that the moyle was shikker while the mishpucha noodged
to get at the nosheri" (as corrected by Melynda).

Melynda said:

"Grandma complained that the religious practitioner who performs
circumcisions was slow while the assembled folks waited impatiently
(with some murmuring and nagging) to get at the snacks."

Joan said:

"Grandma bitched that the man who performs the circumcisions was drunk
while the folks jostled one another to get at the buffet."

So here's the literal translation:

"Grandma incessantly complained that the rabbi performing the
circumcision was drunk while the entire extended family repeatedly and
annoyingly asked when they could get at the table of snacks."

I've been to scores of brises... this generally sums-up a typical one.

Bubby = Grandmother
kvetch = continuous or incessant complaining
moyle = rabbi who's job it is to specifically perform circumcisions (at
a bris)
shikker = drunk
noodged = verb form of noodge; one who is always asking for things in an
annoying way
meshpucha or meshpuchah = the extended family or sometimes used for a
very dear group of friends.

    (the "ch" sound is an uvular fricative - the sound made while
    clearing last night's raucous tequila drinking binge out of the back
    of your throat or when yelling "Allah Achbar" to a group of crazed
    fanatics all strapped with a couple of pounds of C4)

nosheri = a table of snacks - a nosh is larger than a schnitzel  (a
"little bit") and smaller than a meal

Some of my other favorites:

puetz = foreskin (worthless) - "Im such a puetz"
schmuck = male organ - so don't take this lightly if it's used against
you personally.
schmeckle = a little schmuck - a particularly derogatory remark to those
insecure in their manhood.
gonnif = a crook
nebbish = a nothing (ala "he's such a nebbish")
meshuggi = a crazy act
meshugginah = a crazy person
shickzah = a non-Jewish female
goy = a non-jew
goyum = many non-jews
verclempt = flustered, upset, choaked-up
drek = crap "it was a pile of dreck."
schmattah = a rag as in "that dress is a schmattah."
schmutz = grime or dirt as in "wash that schmutz off of you face."
yidkopf = a good head, a smart person

There we have it (well, some of it.)  So now when your fixated on old
Jackie Mason reruns you'll understand what the hell he's sayng.  Welcome
to the meshpuchah! Mazzletov! What a glorius mitzvah!

Dave "Puetz" Budge -  (That's Mr. Puetz to you)

ps.  BTW,  I'm not jewish, but after 15 years in Chicago's financial
district some friends made me an honorable member of the tribe - "MOT"
as they would say.