[Vision2020] U.S. Rejects North Korean Demand for Direct Talks

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 11 15:25:52 PST 2005

Greetings Visionaires -

George Bush's foreign policy can be summed up in how he addresses certain
foreign powers.

To Iraq:  Since you refuse to obey UN sanctions, we (the US) are forced to
invade . . . er . . . uh . . . liberate you.

To Iran:  If you continue your nuclear program, we (again, the US) may have
no alternative but military action.

To North Korea:  Since you have admitted to possessing nuclear weapons, and
have just recently announced your intentions of expanding your nuclear
capabilities, we (the US) are forced to ignore you.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/02/11/nkorea.talks/index.html

What is wrong with this picture?

John Kerry suggested, many times, for the United States to open bilateral
negotiations with North Korea.  Bush felt that would reflect cowardice on
our (the US) part.

A "Quick Vote", conducted by CNN.com earlier today, concerning "in favor of"
or "against" bilateral negotiations between the US and North Korea,
reflected:

In Favor:  67%
Against:  33%

The beat goes on . . .

PS - Secretary Rumsfeld was in Iraq yesterday expressing his confidence in
the Iraqi election results and that many of the troops will be going home as
soon as Iraqi forces are sufficiently trained to take over operations.

One question, Secretary Rumsfeld:  How many of those troops that you
addressed will be going home . . . . . . . . in a body bag?

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.